8 more blocks done….


Finished another 8 blocks…..with help from Teddy


It is starting to look like a quilt…..70 more to go

Happy Quilting




Teddy the Helper


Today I have been working on the Batik Project.    The Fabrics are from Lelia and Co. Fabric and Design and the blocks are paper foundation pieced.   I am getting better at paper foundation piecing the more blocks I do.

I have 21 done now of the 100 needed to finish

Here is the plan which I did on the computer

Batik plan
I decided to see how the blocks look laid out and Teddy was there to help me arrange them.


and he did a pretty good job

DSCN4217 DSCN4215

he needed some help getting that last one flat


I hardly ever mention my other job as flora design instructor but my nephew got married yesterday and I did the flowers for the wedding.

The ceremony was at the Grosse Pointe Academy Chapel …here is a picture of the chapel (It is a picture from their website not the same wedding)


I am really bad about getting pictures of weddings , usually I am in such a frenzy trying to get it all done on time that I just forget to stop and take some pictures.    I did take a few in the work room before I delivered them.

Brides bouquet




Chapel flowers




My Sister made the cupcake wedding cake


Teddy says it is time to get back to work now

Happy Quilting


Teddy Quilt


Teddy goes to see a groomer about every 5 weeks.   He needs frequent hair cuts to maintain his good looks  :)

the groomer is great and he loves to go get pampered and she always gives him a new scarf.   I have been saving his scarfs and last night I made them into a quilt top.

after he wears them for a month or so they do get dirty and frayed so I had to trim them down some but I was able to make them into 12 inch blocks…2 scarfs per block.  Now if you do some math that makes the cost of this quilt top by far the most expensive I will ever make….50 dollars per scarf (before the tip) 2 scarfs per block, 12 blocks in the quilt = $1,200.00 then I added a border and a Teddy print.

A while back I ordered some fabric from Spoonflower, a company that custom prints fabric, with a picture of Teddy.

spoonflower teddy

I cut out and appliqued teddy to the top….


And It is just about life sized….so sometimes there will be two Teddys


Here are more pictures (click to enlarge)

I am not sure how I will quilt this one yet…..but I think Teddy is anxious for me to finish it.

Happy Quilting


Wonky Nine Patch Quilted


I finished hand quilting the wonky nine patch last night.    Now don’t say I can’t believe how fast you quilt….I worked on it almost non stop since I started, (about 60 hours), and it is a small quilt and the quilting is very simple.

I used Hobb’s Tuscany Silk batting on this one and it quilts like a dream.

Here it is with the quilting finished before the binding is done


I trimmed the backing and batting leaving 2 inches of backing beyond the top


I fold the backing over 2 times and then sew to the top to make the binding.

after that was done I put it in the wash (delicate setting).   I wanted to get the crinkled look that is caused by the shrinkage of the batting.    The silk batting shrinks quite a bit.    Before washing the quilt was 50″ x 60″  now it is 45″ x 55″  I love the look and now that it is washed, and dried in the dryer on low temp, it is soft and has the most amazing drape.


The quilting is simple wavy lines using red perle cotton thread #8 and a size 5 embroidery needle.

DSCN4177 DSCN4174

The backing is a plaid flannel


I might add a hanging sleeve and use it as a wall hanging….

a few more pictures

DSCN4180 DSCN4179 DSCN4178
Happy Quilting


Teddy the Quilt Model


Teddy is a real character.   Whenever I take the quilt out of the hoop he thinks I am going to take pictures and he gets excited.   If he sees me with the camera he really gets excited and wants to pose.

Last night I started work on hand quilting the wonky nine patch quilt.

Here it is pin basted….I use very few pins…..the hoop holds the layers together the pins just keep it in place until it is in the hoop


I am doing wavy lines for the quilting…no marking , just wavy lines with #8 perle cotton thread and a size 5 embroidery needle.


Today when I took it out of the hoop to move to the next spot Teddy decided it was time for him to pose.  here are the pictures from his photo shoot

He really does model like a pro ;)

Happy Quilting


Clearing the deck with a wonky nine patch


I made a new top today.  I decided it was better to use up the piles of fabric on the work table (which is actually the dining room table…but if you never put away the sewing machine you can call it a studio) than to put them away.  It seems like when I put things away they are gone forever.

Anyway I made a new top with 12 fat quarters.

I started by cutting them all into 9 inch squares (4 per fat quarter)


pick 2 and stack them (right sides up)

then cut them into 9


no measuring!  In fact you want them to be odd and wonky …the more asymmetrical the better (at least for me).

Next you separate them into two nine patch groups (remember there are 2 different fabrics in the pile)


sew them into rows


press the seams in alternating directions


sew the rows together




one block done


repeat for the other block


after all 48 blocks are done arrange them in whatever way you like


sew them all together


I added 2.5″ x 8″ strips (made from the leftovers) on the 2 sides to make it a bit wider….finished size is 50″ x 60″

I found some plaid flannel in my stock pile for the backing.

I think very simple hand quilting is in order

The design is based on one In the new book I posted about, Unconventional & Unexpected American Quilts Below the Radar 1950-2000, http://timquilts.com/2014/09/15/new-top/

Happy Quilting