Hand piecing the Thousand Pyramids

I had to make some time yesterday to piece a few rows of the thousand pyramids quilt top.  If you remember the way it was pieced

I don’t have far to go to do a better job than that!

I am not naturally very accurate.  I hate marking!…I just want to sew.  I am just eyeballing the seam allowances. I am using black thread. The pattern has a dark block next to a light block so it was a toss-up but I can see the black thread better (no glasses) so that decided it.  as long as I keep the straight grain edge in the same direction every time (bottom of the triangle) I don’t have too much to worry about with the bias edges becoming out of shape.

21 triangles make a row and then get joined to another 21 triangle row along the straight of grain . the row turns out to be about 64″   It pressed great

It is important to “press not iron”  pressing is putting the iron down and setting the pieces…ironing is sliding the iron around over the surface and potentially distorting the pieces.

My points aren’t perfect but I think they are not bad.

once I had 2 rows done (21 triangles each) I lined them up and pinned at the points, but I only used 2 pins (I didn’t pin the entire row) moving the pins along as I stitched.  I find a lot of pins just catch on things and come out

When I hand piece I am very careful not to do any stitches beyond the seam allowances (hand piecing is different from machine piecing ….you don’t sew to the end) it makes the match points lay better once they are pressed.

Back to work for my floral design class….I might fit some sewing time in tomorrow.

12 thoughts on “Hand piecing the Thousand Pyramids

1. Jill says:

I must say I am just a bit jealous….what a great hand piecing project to be working on!

2. antarabesque says:

It’s looking great. I am sure you are going to feel so much satisfaction in resurrecting this quilt. I love following your progress.

I am sure I will feel good about finishing it….I am already thinking about the next one….

• antarabesque says:

Of course!

My sewing machine is sick, so I have been thinking about my next ones too. Laying fabric out, grafting designs… So much to do, so limited by time and getting technology to co-operate!

I know what you mean!…I went through a period with out a working sewing machine and I felt like my hands were tied!…but i got better at hand work

3. karen says:

sew :) much better than what you had to start with!
    Karen

4. Carla says:

Tim, you get so much accomplished! Your hand piecing is wonderful. I love to hand quilt, and recently I have discovered needleturn applique. I am also hand piecing some blocks for a quilt. I seem to be using my machine less and less. I love the accuracy you get hand piecing and it is as wonderful and as relaxing as hand quilting.

I aggree…hand piecing for me is more accurate…and definately more relaxing! I need to work on needle turn applique…I have to baste the seam allowences under first…needle turn seems like it is better

5. Lorid says:

That is looking absolutely wonderful!!

Comments