I was sitting at the table eating dinner Monday Night. MY vicious attack dog started barking and ran for the door, ready to protect and defend the front porch.
It was the postman at the door, and it was funny to see him jump! Teddy really scared him!
He brought me a big envelope from Paducah KY, and I was afraid to open it, but it was a really big envelope so it must be good news. It was! My pineapple quilt was accepted for the AQS Show in Grand Rapids MI this summer, August 22 – 25.
It is in the Hand quilting category.
This is the first time I submitted a quilt to an AQs show and I am pretty excited about it being accepted.
Here are a few pictures of the quilt. (click to enlarge) and here is the post all about making it.
If you go to the AQS show in Grand Rapids be sure to visit my quilt..I will likely be there standing next to it the whole time trying to overhear what people have to say about it.
Not a lot of quilting this weekend but I did get to spend some time in the garden….here are a few pictures
The hand quilting continues on the house quilt. I now have 20 blocks done….22 to go. (click pictures to enlarge)
Wednesday Night in Floral Design Class I taught vertical designs… and I remembered to bring a camera so I got pictures of the students work
I recently purchased yet another vintage quilt top. It arrived today. The use of color amazes me. I don’t think I would have been able to so fearlessly put together all those colors.
Sometimes ignoring the rules works!
But not the rules of construction.
The top was machine pieced and the fabrics are a mix of cotton and poly blend solids. Once the quilt is laid out it is obvious why it was never quilted. Poor construction.
The top is just not flat enough to quilt as it is. A lack of measurement caused the problem.
I suspect that the maker did measure the strips (they are all 1.5″ wide and finish at a bit over an inch) but the length of the strips was not measured. They were sewn on and cut off at the assumed correct length and row after row the slight differences add up and you can see the result.
I love the top! I love the use of color! so how do I fix it?
I used thumb tacks to pin it to the floor (using the floor boards as straight edges) this squares up the outside edges and lets me see how big it is(73″x87″). Now I will gather the extra toward the center and cut it out along the folds. The picture below shows the top in a preliminary pinned position.
I will do the cutting along the corners and try not to change the overall look of the top. the difference being that there will be mitered corners.
when I am ready to do the work on it I will pin it to the floor again but wrong side up, do the folding and gathering very carefully to match all the corners and pin it…then sew along the pinned line and then cut off the extra. It might take a bit of work but it will be worth it.
Remember to use all the crayons!