I finished the Wild Goose Chase quilt on Saturday night.
I started this one on December 20th 2011, (see the post here) and worked on it quite regularly then got sidetracked with other quilts and this one got put aside. I finished 4 other quilts and then I picked it up again last week and finished it up. Once I finished the binding I washed and dried it as I always do, and I think it looks pretty good. I love the puckered look from the shrinkage of the batting.
A few close-ups:
For me quilts need to be functional so here it is on a bed.
Here is the back.
If you are a perfectionist you might not enjoy working on antique quilt tops. They don’t ever seem to be even and you have to work around those imperfections. None of the blocks are the same size so marking requires fudging to fit. If I fold the finished quilt you can see that it is not square. Not perfect but that is fine with me.
Here are the stats
Finished size 70″ X 85″
Top: Antique purchased on eBay for $21.50
Quilt Template: Lyre motif vintage , another eBay purchase
Backing: “Documentaries by Benartex” 108″ wide
Batting: Nature’s Touch by Pellon 100% cotton and very easy to quilt….This is the first time I used it but I like it.
Binding: Whindham Fabrics, Devon Shirtings by Nancy Gere
Thread: Coats Cotton hand quilting (3 spools 350 yds each)
I did a rather narrow straight grain binding. I cut it 2″ wide and folded it machine sewed it on and wrapped it around to the back and hand stitched it. It finished at about 3/8″ wide. The fabric is a pretty good match to the indigo in the top.
It looks like the weather is going to be good today so perhaps some time in the garden
Or perhaps I will start another quilt.