I have been working a bit more on the vintage houses quilt (aka school-house/little red school-house, etc.) One of the challenges with a vintage top that is made by someone else is working around their sewing skills. Many areas of the vintage top have little (or more than little) pleats or puckers where the pieces were less than successfully eased in to fit.
It could be scary but once quilted it wont show that much, it will “quilt out”. Here is a block that I finished yesterday.
See all the puckering in the upper right part of the block between the chimneys and in the triangle section of the roof. With hand quilting I can work out most of that. I press up from the bottom of the quilt as the stitches go in and I can get most of that puckering taken care of.
Here is the same block quilted.
I don’t think I could do that with machine quilting. I think it would make the problem worse.
so I have made some progress. but there is lots more quilting to go!