Hand Quilting on a Frame

baptist-fans-elbow-quilting 001

I am starting to warm up to quilting on the frame.   It is so different from using a hoop. On a hoop I can twist and turn the hoop to orient it the way I want, I quilt in only one direction (away from me). On the frame I have to adapt to not being able to turn.  I find that I am getting a bit better at it as I go.

For this  quilt (the first one I have done in a frame) I start at the left and quilt an arc to the right, I then go back and add more rows of arcs below that….the pattern is often called “Baptist Fan”, or Elbow Quilting.   Many people carefully measure and mark these arcs but I am just doing it by eye and making them less than perfect or uniform.  The quilt top itself is very irregular and scrappy and I think that it calls for the same treatment in the quilting.

Here is an example of some of the quilting, you can see that there are a few arcs quilted in and I will now go back and add the additional arcs below.

baptist-fans-elbow-quilting 012 baptist-fans-elbow-quilting 011

I have been trying to use up some Roxanne needles size # 10, and it is just not worth it to me….yesterday I bent 3 of them beyond usability in less than an hour.

baptist-fans-elbow-quilting 004 baptist-fans-elbow-quilting 005

Every time I try to use these I bend them!

I am going to switch to Bohin #9 and see how that goes. ( I have had good luck with these)

baptist-fans-elbow-quilting 006

# 9 needles are rather large…I use a #11 John James for whole cloth quilting, but this quilt top has so many seams to quilt through that I feel a larger needle will help.

I am using Coats Cotton thread ( I always have this kind on hand and it is available locally….but I hate the blend, on the green spool, always go for the cotton on the pink spool)

baptist-fans-elbow-quilting 007

I had a piece of wool batting that was leftover but large enough for this top so that is what I am using.

baptist-fans-elbow-quilting 009

It is a learning experience for me and I don’t think I will use the frame for every quilt, but for simple quilting like this I think I am going to like it.

Teddy is warming up to it as well and is interested in seeing the progress

baptist-fans-elbow-quilting 019

Here are some progress pictures (click to enlarge)

Happy quilting

22 thoughts on “Hand Quilting on a Frame

1. Sue says:

The Baptist fan looks great. I love that quilt design.
    I learned to hand quilt on the floor frame so when it came time to use a hoop, that took some adjustment for me. Either way serves a good purpose though.
    I have used the Coats quilting thread and do like it. Otherwise I use YLI. It works pretty well for me too :)

Happy stitching!

2. karen says:

Roxanne used to have better needles – the company sold out I believe to another and the needles went down hill from there – I have been told that enough complaints were made that they are now making them like they used to do. I have several packages though that I think are old and I am about ready to toss them and try others. I have never tried the Bohn brand.

So, it is true, you can teach old dogs new tricks! LOL!

4. Laura Gottlieb says:

Love the pic of Teddy inspecting your progress on the quilting frame!

5. Nancy says:

I am just finishing marking quilt tops and will set up my quilt frame as I finally have a house with room for it again. We’ll see how I readjust to it after hoop quilting for several years!

6. I do my babtist fans in the opposite direction. I start with the smallest arc and work out, but I do mark mine. I haven’t tried the bohn needles, let us know how the compare. I agree about the Roxanne’s that they bend. I agree about a frame it is totally different, I started on a frame and have since moved to a lap frame. Hoping to get a hoop on a stand for my birthday this year.

funny thing is it never occurred to me to start with the small one and work out…I might have to try that and see how I like it. but it does show that every quilter is different!! I love my hoop on the stand…I hope you get one for your birthday!

7. Meredithe says:

I’m a big fan of Bohin needles and use their appliqué, piecing and betweens needles, but I’m lucky that I can buy them locally. Thanks for showing us your Baptist Fan quilting, I’ll have to give it a go.

8. Trina Schellhammer says:

I am curious what you use to mark your Baptist Fan pattern? Also, do you pretty much just “wing it” with spacing?

I am just quilting, no marking at all…I hate to mark and this one being “free form” makes it easy to do that….If I wanted to be accurate I would find something round like a plate that is the size I like and mark one arc with that and then eyeball the smaller arcs below it….I can usually get pretty accurate by eye if I have one set line to echo

9. audrey says:

I have had a lot of trouble with bending when I use Roxanne needles too. It’s very frustrating. I am really enjoying the quilting you’re doing on this quilt. The wonky arcs look fun!

glad I am not the only one with roxanne issues…..and the Wonky arc are fun! there is a lot of freedom in doing these when I have been working on trying to be super precise in the whole cloth quilt…..its such a change of pace!

Comments