More on Big Stitch Quilting and a video

Big Stitch 006

I have been working on the Single Wedding ring quilt, and using big stitch quilting.

Big Stitch 005

As always Teddy is anxious to help.

Big Stitch 008

I made a short Video of how I do it ( I have been gardening so ignore how dirty my fingernails are :)  )

circle quilting 002 circle quilting 003 circle quilting 004 circle quilting 005 circle quilting 006

47 thoughts on “More on Big Stitch Quilting and a video

1. Oh My Good Gawd!!!! No thumle anywhere in site….and quilting away from yourself. Amazing! :D

2. Hilda says:

Great video demo ! thanks very much – seems simple enough. And I expect your stitches are beautiful from the back too :)

3. Sharon Snow says:

About how many spi do you get with big stitch quilting? just wondering…

on this one its about 6 stitches per inch, but that depends on the thickness of the thread, and on how I want it to look, sometimes I mke bigger stitches and get to more like 4 stitches per inch

4. Connie Johnson says:

Thanks for the video. Seeing the action really helps. I hold you up as an icon of hand quilting !

5. Kathi says:

Tim, thanks so much for the vid! Have JoAnn’s on my list of places to go this morning then I am back to big stitch qulting on my waves! Thanks again :) You are awesome! And helpful too :D

6. Tica says:

Thanks so much. You are one busy guy.

7. sewfrench says:

Thanks for sharing. I believe tonight is my night to start on my first big stitch quilt. Something about it just seems so wrong…. I’ve got to get over that, LOL!

8. sewfrench says:

And I love your Single Wedding Ring quilt! You have beautifully combined vintage with modern!

Nice video!

10. Beverly says:

What a fun quilt. I like the colors and the funky design. I’m going to have to learn more about big stitch quilting.

thanks!…..I am becoming a fan of big stitching….sometimes I like to finish a quilt fast!

• Beverly says:

Especially for kids quilts. My rule has been that my hand stitched quilts can’t go on a bed that might get thrown up on — so the kids quilts have always been tied. But this technique interests me.

good point! Kids can be hard on quilts!…..this one should wear like Iron….the red fabric is a cotton poly blend and is very heavy…like a gabardine ….

11. Victoria says:

Tim, what brand is your quilt hoop on a stand?

12. Victoria says:

Oops! just read your thread and found the answer

13. kat says:

it’s normal, a florist and gardener has hands that look for work.
    with my hands I can’t also advertise for hand cream. :-D
    btw. thanks for vid !

14. […] I started quilting it on May 5 (see that post here) and I did a short video of the quilting (see that here) […]

15. antarabesque says:

That Teddy is such a poser! :D

16. […] have been working on  hand quilting (using big stitches) the vintage top that I posted about  on Sunday. (see that here […]

17. […] This week I got a few more vintage quilt tops. The first one is made of corduroy .  I imagine it was made in the 70′s.  There are some signs that they materials were recycled, perhaps from clothing.  This is a very colorful top and I look forward to quilting it.   Since it is a very thick fabric, I think this is another candidate for big stitch quilting. (see more about that here: http://timquilts.com/2013/05/05/more-on-big-stitch-quilting-and-a-video/) […]

18. […] lately I have been reading Candy (at Buried in Scraps)and Tim Latimer talking about using crochet cotton.  I have been weaving for over 30 years, and I knew that […]

19. irene vernon says:

I loved to see your random free motion hand quilting in another picture you posted. You used pink thread on white background. This has always perplexed me. Excellent.

20. iluv2create says:

I always use a thimble when I hand stitch, that being said, I’m making my first big stitch quilt, it is actually a wall hanging with a western theme and I so happy to see this technique being used especially for some of us old folks whose fingers don’t work as well as they use to. Thank you for the nice site and tutorials.

21. iluv2create says:

Thank you for the tutorial. I always use a thimble when I hand stitch, just an old habit. I’m doing my first big stitch quilt, actually a wall hanging in a western theme and I’m really enjoying it. It is so nice to see this technique becoming more popular especially for us old folk who are having a bit of trouble getting our fingers to stay nimble.

22. Sarah says:

Loved your presentation at CAMEO tonight – and I came right home to watch this video (how many times have I scrolled past it, I wonder?) I already have a quilt in mind that this will be perfect for, and can’t wait to get started on it now!

23. Matthew says:

Thanks Tim. I am currently hand piecing a quilt using the English paper piecing method and would like to hand quilt it with perle cotton. Do you have any advice on what is good quality perle cotton – prescencia, vinca, DMC, valdani, etc? Also how do you decide between 8 and 12 size? Does one work better or look better or easier to use? Any tips appreciated. Oh, one last question: I wonder if i could quilt it with perle cotton the same way I would the regular way – with a thimble, rocking technique. Is the technique dependent on big stitch quilting with perle cotton? Your work is beautiful by the way.

I have had good luck with DMC but I have friends who love prescencia I have not tried it myself but I plan to do so. The decision between 8 and 12 for me is dependent on how much I want the stitches to stand out…I like 8 because it really does stand out …the 12 being a bit thinner shows a bit less….I like both. I have used size 5 and wont ever do that again! too hard to get that thick thread through the fabrics and I had to do one stitch at a time. I understand that the regular rocking motion quilting will work but I myself can’t do it. that has nothing to do with the thread…I just quilt differently and don’t ever do rocking motion/thimble…I would do quilting with perle cotton the same as you would normally quilt…but of course a larger eye needle is required …once tyou get going on it you will find it easy it just takes a bit of adjustment to the seemingly giant needle
      Have fun with it!

24. Elaine says:

Hi Tim… Thank you so much for your wonderful blog and for posting this video and photos. As much as I admire hand quilting, it never interested me to try myself. But after seeing your beautiful work and learning that you are self-taught, it inspired me!

I just finished a little wall quilt and decided to big stitch parts of it. It was fun and actually relaxing, even though I detest (!) hand sewing. I kept visualizing your Tree of Life quilt, aka the Tree of Infinite Quilting Patience and Tranquility. :) That quilt is really stunning, just breathtakingly beautiful, btw.

I was wondering if the stitches on the back for big stitch quilting are typically much smaller than the front or should be about the same as the front. Thank you again!

Ps. I adore Teddy! :)

Thanks! great that you have given hand quilting a try…..I typically make the stitches the same on the front and back …it just happens that way as I quilt. but if you are making larger stitches with smaller spaces between it will result in smaller on the back and larger on the front. this is normal and fine, and not to worry about as long as you like the look it is correct…..I dont believe in rules.
      and Teddy says thanks too!

Comments