Beautiful Gardening Weather

garden 5-25-13 011

The Weather is perfect this weekend for gardening.

Several years ago I began the slow process of removing the lawn in the front yard and making it all flower beds.  This weekend I decided to finish the job.

This little curved section was all that was left of the grass (the other side of the sidewalk belongs to the city but I might get rid of all that grass as well since I have to mow it and have taken over a big chunk of it anyway).

(its an old picture but I forgot to take one today before I started digging)

front2-7-21-07

So I dig out the grass and then started to work on the soil.  First I had to get the rocks out…here is what I dug up

garden 5-25-13 001

Next I worked in some organic material  (peat and compost) and raked it out

garden 5-25-13 002 garden 5-25-13 003

Planted a few new things and moved some other things around….in a few weeks you wont even know its new

garden 5-25-13 006

Here is the whole yard (its only 40 feet wide)

garden 5-25-13 007 garden 5-25-13 008

And a few flowers (I love chives and allium)

garden 5-25-13 009 garden 5-25-13 010 garden 5-25-13 011

and the back yard gets some work tomorrow

garden 5-25-13 004

Have a great Holiday Weekend!

32 thoughts on “Beautiful Gardening Weather

1. karen says:

I sure wish I had your green thumb and the strength to do the shovel work! it will be pretty in no time at all – heck it already is :)

Thanks Karen…..I have to admit I’m out of shape :( this really tired me out (being sick for a year really didn’t do me any good to maintain muscle strength)……but so glad I am better now an that I finally did it!

Wow! I wish 1/10th of our yard looked like that! We have 7 1/2 acres but mostly wooded and those yellow flowers all over…dandy something or other, but they bloom nicely!

3. Laura Gottlieb says:

Beautiful!

4. Ann Hancock says:

It looks awesome, Tim! Keep taking pictures for us as the summer goes by- we will really enjoy seeing it fill in.

I can empathize about being out of shape- I moved a bit of mulch the other day and had to take a nap afterwards.

5. Your garden looks lovely! When I lived in the U.S., we had 5/8 acre and gardening was such a joy. Now our house sits on a quarter dunam – that’s 1/16 acre! When I moved here (Israel), I had to learn a new gardening skill set for this climate. I still have chives and alliums too, though.

6. Janet O'Dell says:

It will be beautiful Tim – I try to keep the grass out of my garden too but it is hard work to stop it coming back even with mulch!

7. Hilda says:

What a nice job you have done! – looking so lovely. It will be a pleasure to see it grow up. I have 5 large bales of lucerne ready to spread in my garden beds for mulch – the worms love it, it enriches the soil and keeps down the weeds – win win !
    I notice your path has some great “patchwork” blocks too ;)

8. We have one and a half acres….if you find you have run out of garden space, feel free to use ours!!! I would love to have you live next door, so I could look at your garden everyday. Lovely!!!!

Thanks!…I think I am getting near full capacity in my garden….but Some of the older beds are getting close to needing a re-do so I don’t think I will ever be done….part of the fun of gardening is how it always changes

9. Celia says:

Your floral yard is beautiful. Just lovely! Wish I had a green thumb. My garden is just quilting with floral fabric.

10. cmosey says:

Absolutely beautiful! I know of a yard in Flushing that could use your attention… Whenever you’re ready.

11. Donna K says:

Nice garden Tim. I agree with you, that spot will fill in in no time.

Chives, have you ever harvested the purple chive flowers to pull apart and put own salads? This used to be a spring thing in our house. You need to harvest them before the seeds mature and harden inside the flower. So when ours bloom I cut them all off and put in a sandwich bag and store near the lettuce in the fridge.

Have a great weekend!

12. Janet says:

It was lovely visiting your garden. I used to spend all my free time doing gardening but I gave it up when I moved. I never could resist making more room for flowers.

13. Sharon Eshlaman says:

Thanks for a tour of your garden/yard. It is beautiful. Your are such a creative, ambitious guy! Your house, quilts and yard deserve to be featured in a country magazine.

14. Carolanne says:

I have been fascinated how your quilts take on a life of their own when you quilt – and now your garden also responds the same way. Thank you for sharing.

15. Susan says:

I think those rocks would be great as dry river some place on your property, just be sure and put several layers of cardboard under them to keep the weeks blocked for as long as possible. The yard is lookin’ great – I am going out to plant a plant by my mailbox – thanks for the incentive.

16. Hi Tim,
    Thanks for sharing your gardening pics. It’s amazing how many rocks you got out of the soil! Maybe your area used to be old farmland (you always see piles of rocks at the edge of farmer’s fields, and they are happy to give them away).
    Is there a place near you that sells the great iron work that you have in your garden? I love the three-tier plant stand in the front!
    Vicky F

The rocks were all in one area and uniformly placed…between the current driveway and the edge of the house….and I believe they were the base for the driveway years back …I know this area was not ever a farm….It was empty land before they built the state capitol
      I bought the 3 tier plant stand locally at a garden center….it was meant to grow vines on but I found pots that would fit in and made it a plant stand.

Comments