Quilting and Gardening

garden 5-30-13 003

I have been working on quilting the fans quilt that I wrote about yesterday.  I always say to myself that I will keep it simple but then I get going on it and the quilt tell me otherwise.   Sounds strange but the quilt really does talk to me and tell me how to quilt it.

progress 5-29-13 001

gears start of quilting 5-29-13 009

The Garden is growing!  Had lots of rain the last few days and it is going to be in the 80’s today so things will be popping.

The Star today is this Iris!

garden 5-30-13 003 garden 5-30-13 004 garden 5-30-13 005

And the lilac is finally opening…not fully open yet but the yard sure smells good!

garden 5-30-13 001

garden 5-30-13 002

garden 5-30-13 011

Next to the lilac the Weigela (Weigela florida) ‘Wine & Roses’ just starting to bloom

garden 5-30-13 012

There are a few roses opening ( in a few days there will be lots!)

this is Cuthbert Grant

garden 5-30-13 026garden 5-30-13 020 garden 5-30-13 021

This is The Hunter

garden 5-30-13 007

I can not remember the name of this one (it is a David Austin) I will look it up and ID it next time I take a picture

garden 5-30-13 006

The Dogwood still has a few blooms

garden 5-30-13 009

Columbine are wanderers..they self seed everywhere

garden 5-30-13 010garden 5-30-13 008

The climber over the side gate is going to be full of blooms

garden 5-30-13 024

It is so large that it has caused the area below it to be a shade garden

garden 5-30-13 029

The ferns and hosta  are happy in the shade below the rose

garden 5-30-13 027 garden 5-30-13 028

the little puffy flower is a Meadow Rue that self seeded there.

The Peony are showing some color…

garden 5-30-13 014

And the Siberian Iris are bull of buds.

garden 5-30-13 015

There are Lupines in bloom

garden 5-30-13 016

and the Cushion Spurge still looks good

garden 5-30-13 013

The Common Thrift (Armeria maritima) is blooming

garden 5-30-13 025

And the front yard is growing

garden 5-30-13 022

Chives and flax

garden 5-30-13 023

And Teddy is inspecting the garden …smells like someone was here….

garden 5-30-13 017

Happy Gardening and Happy Quilting

25 thoughts on “Quilting and Gardening

1. Kathi says:

Your garden is lovely but your quilting steals the show! Thanks for showing it.. you inspire me to keep up the work! I love quilting and love when quilts speak to me on how to quilt them :) Kathi

Thanks Kathi! In the summer I am torn between the garden and quilting….I need to set up a quilting area in the yard so I can enjoy both at once

• Janine Huisjen says:

There’s nothing like outdoor light for quilting. And I think quilting in your magnificent garden would be something like heaven.

I think you are right about the light and I dont know why I never thought of that! I need to get an area out there to work

I bet your neighbors enjoy the fragrance and appeal of your garden. Looks like they sure don’t compete! You would think the idea would catch on!
    The quilt is awesome of course.

it has caught on some….the house a few doors down has a beautiful garden!…….it is fun to watch people walk down the street…..they go very slow in front of the house….and often cars slow down to a crawl as they go down the street

3. Design Main says:

Dear Tim Thank you so much for sharing your garden photos. You have done a magnificent job with your landscaping, wish I could see it with my own two eyes!

I live in Northern California, just south of San Francisco and my spring garden is now really and truly done. My herbaceous peonies were magnificent this year and I must remember to divide them this fall. Got hundreds of blooms from them. And I entered an arrangement in my flower club show and won first prize and best in show with the. oh my but my garden gave me some beautiful things to go with them… Heuchera and hellebores and jasmine and bottle brush. If you want I’ll send you a photo.

Thanks so much for your blog. I look forward to it everyday.

Anne Kasten

Sent from my iPad Please excuse typos and anything else that is idiotic. All iPad’s doing, not mine

Thanks ! its great to hear the my little garden is appreciated!! And it is so interesting to me to see the gardens for other parts of the country (I would love to see pix of yours) I know that if I lived In CA I would need to re-learn gardening for that climate…I did and internship in Encinitas in the 80’s and got so see some of the California gardens there….and visited Cal Poly Pomona for a Horticulture event in the early 90’s …some real beautiful gardens….
      Congratulations on your Peony award!! great reward to go with the labor of love of growing them.
      Gardens are wonderful places to find peace and inspiration!!

4. kathie says:

your garden is almost as amazing as your hand quilting!
    I enjoy seeing both.
    guess you must be torn but take care of the garden its only a few months a year vs hand quilting is all winter when your dreaming of the garden!

exactly! both are so important to me……but the garden is taking over some quilting time in the summer …. because it wont wait as long as a quilt will :)

There is an iris garden about 2 miles away from me and they have over 500 or so varieties of iris and he sells them and when they are ready to mail or pick up, they are so clean and ready to go! They also are working to create new lines and they have had international groups come to visit the gardens. I need to drive over there and check them out if the rain will ever end. They have a catalogue of their flowers to order from also. Here is a link of a blogger talking about the gardens.

Each one is wonderful!

6. Your garden is every bit as impressive as your hand quilting. I thoroughly enjoyed that tour. Thanks for sharing.

7. Sue says:

Lovely to see your quilting and i’m enjoying the garden photo’s .I think your ahead of me here in the UK. My garden is definitely 3weeks behind this year. In fact they have just announced we have had the coldest spring for 50 years. Hopefully things will catch up soon but meanwhile I can enjoy yours.

I have seen some news stories about how cold it has been there!…..so unusual of my garden to be ahead of the UK ….hope it warms up soon….when it does the plants know what to do

8. Dee says:

So Happy to get your almost daily emails about quilting and gardening, both are so close to my heart and you are my inspiration. Just wanted to let you know what a bright spot in my life you are. Also love seeing Teddy, what a great day in his life when you adopted him.
    Dee in Yakima, WA

9. Marga says:

Dear Tim-now never you will have to appoligize for showing your fingers -what a beautiful space you call your garden -its pardise ! Lot of work,but worth every dig.So keep enjoying it and keep quilting,too :D
    Marga in Berlin,Germany

10. Kathleen Campbell says:

Thank You a lot. It is beautiful.

11. Sharon Eshlaman says:

Wow, what beautiful flowers, plants and quilting. Isn’t spring/summer just the best? Give the supervisor a pat on the head for me and a pat on the back to you! Beautiful.

12. […] posted some garden pictures on Thursday (http://timquilts.com/2013/05/30/quilting-and-gardening/)….and took some more pictures Today….2 days sure makes a […]

Comments