Sunday Gardening

Molineux

I am taking advantage of the beautiful weather today to get some more gardening work done.

Since the city has dug up the area between the street and the sidewalk 3 times in the last few years it has been driving me crazy!….each time the way they “fix” it is to dump more soil on top and then seed over it….it has become a mountain with the grass many inches higher than the sidewalk so I am digging it up, removing the extra soil and putting the grass back.  This is a lot of work for a  bit of property that actually belongs to the city, but it will be so much better to have it done.

gaeden 6-9-13 041

The robin looks like she is getting ready for her second brood of the season.

gaeden 6-9-13 014

Things continue to grow and new flowers bloom. (click pictures to enlarge)

Back to work for me

Happy Gardening

22 thoughts on “Sunday Gardening

1. Kathi says:

Love what you are doing to the front… I would address it too even though the city SHOULD! lol Second brood of the season sounds like you got a happy momma bird :) Love the pics of your garden and love your background paper of your blog! Really rocks :) Kathi

Thanks Kathi…I think that the mama robin is just feeling about as lucky as she can be with all the digging I have been doing she has been right there to get the worms….I made that walpaper by repeating one block ….pretty cool…glad ya like it

2. Eileen Mele says:

Amazing, beautiful garden. My garden is plainer, but I get roses all year round. Not to rub it in. We have to deal with a lot of stuff here. Like fires, floods, earthquakes, you get the picture. Enjoy your summer!

Thanks Eileen!….Michigan is really not a great climate for roses, but I grow them anyway….the front yard smells like roses so strong today….it was a joy to be out there working

3. Sharon Eshlaman says:

The garden is beautiful. My favs are the roses and peonies. That’s the main part of my garden also. You can’t sit still can you? Nice job fixing the city’s mess. They should pay you – like that’s going to happen. Enjoy the day and thanks for the tour.

4. ginny buckles hardy says:

Are those heritage Damask Roses. They sure are beautiful!!

lets see….Rene deViolets is from 1860…..Charles deMiles has a rather uncertain heritage….perhaps went from Germany to France and there is got its name…but well over 200 years ago….Colette, Molineux, William Shakespeare, Constance Spry , Christopher Marlowe are David Austin English roses (modern old roses)….others are fairly modern…a few more heritage yet to bloom

5. karen says:

the city should be paying you :)

6. Pam says:

Love your gardening pics, but I must say – makes me a little homesick (born & raised in Olivet, MI) as I sit here in 110 degrees (Phoenix, AZ) & everything turns brown for the summer.

I can imagine it is hard to go from MI to AZ…I dont know if I could do it…MI weather is not perfect, but I cant imagine trying to grow a garden there

7. Carla says:

I would fix it also, stuff like that just bothers me! I spent the morning in the yard also. I am so happy that my husband finished building the trellis for my new dawn climbing roses that we planted last spring. Life is good!

I love New Dawn!!…I have one that is getting ready to bloom…and after almost 10 years it has finally gotten really full!!…but it never has any disease problems….and I love it…..you are lucky to have a custom trellis for yours!!

Why not put flowers in that dug out area or will the city find a reason to dig it up again and then there go your plants? The front walk has to smell heavenly!

I really did think about it, but the soil there is solid clay and it would take so much work to get it ready for plants….and since it seems like a semi annual event to dig it up I am afraid to plant any more….and YES…the front walk is amazing to smell

9. Mardee Dowdy says:

Love your beautiful roses, but really must comment on your quilt-block pavers! Very nice!

10. You have such a beautiful garden! Love the new page background on your blog.

11. gardnerpam6 says:

love the flowers esp. the peach roses and the primrose. I really would like some primrose but can’t find any

I think that you might need to order the primrose from a catalog…I never see then in the stores…I got mine from a friends garden and the do spread like crazy

Comments