Another start…

big stitch string bowtie 001

I have what I call Quilt Attention Deficit Disorder.  I have so many that I want to work on that I had to start another one.  It really is not a problem because I do finish them eventually, and it keeps me from getting bored with any one.  It is nice to have different quilts in progress because each one is a bit different in the way I quilt it and I can change off depending on my mood.  All the quilts I am currently working on have relatively precise stitching requirements with a very small needle and 40 weight quilting thread.  I decided to start another one and I am using 12 weight thread and an big embroidery needle. It is a totally different way of quilting.

I purchased the top quite a while ago and have been wanting to get to work on it for a long time.  here are a few pictures of the vintage top.

2012_0817string-snowball00062012_0817string-snowball0007

It is machine pieced and honestly it is not very precisely done but I have no problem with that at all!… I love it as it is….It feels spontaneous.

The fabric is very thick…this is not your standard quilt fabric! It is like a gabardine twill.  I could not imagine trying to do standard little quilting stitches on this.  Normally I do between 8 and 12 stitches per inch depending on the quilt.  For this one I am doing 5-6 with a contrasting thread.  The backing is muslin and the batting is wool so that makes it easier to quilt.  I am just quilting it as I go, by the piece, no marking…I want to keep it spontaneous to fit the top.

I have just started so I don’t have a lot done but here are a few pictures. (Click to enlarge)

25 thoughts on “Another start…

Interesting quilt! I haven’t ever seen this type of a bowtie quilt. And I knew you would start another because it was there.

there goes the garden

2. Victoria says:

Well I for one “appreciate” and encourage your QADD! LOL!! Another beauty. I am so addicted to your site that I feel a let down if you haven’t posted anything in a couple of days. You’ve got me spoiled! Truly, Tim, you have so inspired me to get more quilting done. Thank you! Thank you!

3. cynthia says:

That sure is a dazzlingly graphic quilt! The quilting looks great, too. What do you do with Teddy when you’re basting a quilt top? My dog would be all over it and going for the pins!

Teddy just sits at the edge and watches….he wont get on a quilt before I tell him its ok….I never had to train him for that …somehow he just knows

• cynthia says:

What an admirable terrier! Both my knees and my dog prevent me from basting on the floor! I’ve been meaning to tell you that every time I visit your blog and look at the painting in your header, I think that the younger woman looks like she’s talking on a cellphone and giggle. What does she have in her hand?

she has a thimble on her finger and I guess her hand is up to her head in a “thinking” pose…..it is by
        Enoch Wood Perry (American painter, 1831–1915) A Quilting Party

I like this. This quilt has its own reasons, it’s own heft.

5. Nancy says:

Tim, your interest in quilting many different quilts at the same time gives your readers lots of variety. Thank you. This is an interesting quilt pattern, one I haven’t seen before. And your quilting choice for it looks perfect.

I have a few questions about the wool batting. What brand is it? Have you used wool bats before and if so, how do they wash? Do they require extra care? And you think they’re easier to quilt than cotton? Have you quilted with bamboo bats? Thanks.

Thanks Nancy
      I am using Hobb’s Tuscany wool batting, and Have also used Hobb’s Heirloom Wool, they are about the same. It quilts so much easier that cotton even though it is a bit thicker. I dont give them any special care…machine wash and dry (low temp)….I love it but it is more expensive.

Bamboo is a different story….I have heard noting but horror stories about it……I will not use it because of that. It is difficult to hand quilt, not as soft, it beards (fuzz pulls through the fabric as you sew) bad drape when it is done (stiff)….and the whole idea is that it is “eco friendly” but it is blended with poly. and I think cotton and wool are both natural product that give much better results

• Nancy says:

Thanks for responding, Tim. I think I will try wool on one of my next quilts. I’ve thought that it would be easy to quilt — wool’s just like that. And low temp drying isn’t so bad as hanging to dry. I looked at a bamboo bat yesterday and decided against it – at least till I got more information. And your thoughts are just what I needed to know. Thanks again.

I think you will really like the wool!

6. Kathleen C says:

I love the interesting pattern on this quilt and always enjoy seeing your quilting designs. I have a question about stitch length: Do most quilters count only the stitches that appear on the top of the quilt? Or do they count the bottom stitches also? Years ago I worried too much about how small my stitches were, but no more. I’m asking only because I wonder how quilters define “Big Stitch”. When I do my version of a larger-than- normal-stitch with floss, I do 4 stitches per inch, counting the stitches only on top of the quilt. I’ll continue to do whatever pleases me and what suits the quilt, but I’m curious. Thanks very much.

some people believe that you should count the stitches on the back as well as the front but I believe that it counts the same stitch twice…..you cant make a quilting stitch on the front without it showing on the back…..so the generally accepted method is to count the front. I do not usually worry about it myself…I am more concerned about trying to make the stitches even and every quilt is different…..but I write about it because it is a good way to give people an Idea about the scale ….its hard to get that from a picture. I did a post about it a while sgo and you can see that here http://timquilts.com/2013/02/15/counting-quilting-stitches/

• Kathleen C says:

I like your answer, Tim–Thanks very much. I’ll keep doing what I find is most comfortable for me, based on each quilt and the kind of batting I’m using. It’s good to have your information on the topic.

Happy Quilting!

7. Donna K says:

Hi Tim

I agree with Victoria that I am addicted to your site. I pretty much check daily to see what you are up to and I feel like a truly lazy quilter if I measure me by your accomplishments. I love all the variety you show and your outside the box approach.

I have been curious about when you are showing us a quilt top or finished quilt. I think I see them hanging by wooden pants hangers. Then those hangers are hanging on to what? Is this inside your house, or hanging by the rafters in the garage? You may have covered this but I haven’t seen it.

the pants hangers are hanging from a curtain rod that have mounted to the wall in the quilt room just for that use….and I display a quilt there when I am not taking pictures

8. audrey says:

I love that you appreciate ‘spontaneous’ quilting! Your quilting is making a fine looking quilting look fabulous. Kudos to you for your determination to not leave any UFO left undone.:)

9. […] I have been working on  hand quilting (using big stitches) the vintage top that I posted about  on Sunday. (see that here http://timquilts.com/2013/06/16/another-start/). […]

10. […] pretty fast but I have been working hard to get it done.  I started on June 16 (see the post here http://timquilts.com/2013/06/16/another-start/)  and I have put in about 80 hours on it so […]

11. […] I finished another quilt last night.  Here it is fresh out of the washing machine and dryer. To see the top before quilting and read about the quilting see this post http://timquilts.com/2013/06/16/another-start/ […]

Comments