A new look at an old block

I recently posted about some wedding ring blocks and pieces that I plan to finish up.

doudle wedding ring parts 002

When we think of the Double wedding ring pattern we generally think of it like this.  A scrappy variety of fabrics in the rings and white background fabrics.  I quilted one like this as my second quilt.  Here it is

2010_07187-18-10-weddingring0008

Less common combinations are not unheard of. I have a few in my collection. (click pictures to enlarge)  Here is a vintage top that was done with only 2 colors in the rings.

2010_1225weddignring-pink-gr0004

This one has a green background and the pieces in the rings are less random.

2010_0113top-inventory-tub50072

Here is one with yellow background and much narrower pieces (Some publications are now calling this Pattern “Pickle Dish” but that is an incorrect name)

2010_0113top-inventory-tub10005

This one uses shirting fabric with small print as the background

2010_0113top-inventory-tub10007

This one in Green and Tan is one of my favorites.

2010_0113top-inventory-tub20026

I have been really enjoying bright colors lately as you can see in the ring quilt I recently finished

finished Ring Quilt 5-15-13 001

I have been thinking about how I might do a Double Wedding Ring today…not from a vintage top.

dwr2

If I did it like this, with half assorted colors and half solids and did a red background and light blue in the centers of the “melons”  it would look like this

dwr3

I know I don’t need any more projects but I might need to try this one.  I think it is a new way to look at an old block.

And for the gardening fans here are more garden pictures (click to enlarge)

Happy Quilting/Gardening

12 thoughts on “A new look at an old block

1. Laura Gottlieb says:

Tim, May I ask you to describe how you are able to depict, for example, the new, bright DWR quilt you’re considering making in the future? Do you use particular software to create such images? I think it’s very cool that you can not only create those images but upload or scan them to your blog, and I’d like to hear how you do that.Loved Teddy’s fine looks after he got groomed the other day, but he makes me smile even when he hasn’t been groomed!

2. Sharon Eshlaman says:

Love all the tops and variations of. If you handed me yards of fabric and said “make one”, I wouldn’t be able to decide. Guess I’d have to consult with the supervisor :-) Garden and yard is gorgeous. Thanks for the tour.

3. Victoria says:

How do you not feel overwhelmed with so many beautiful tops yet to be quilted?

well they have been waiting for 50 – 100 + years or more so I just figure they can wait a bit longer….and I know I will never run out of projects!

4. Carla says:

I love all the DWR’s! I think the one you designed would spectacular! Lovely pictures of your gardens. My New Dawn finished blooming a couple of weeks ago. I am amazed how much it has grown in it’s first year.

5. audrey says:

I have been one of the ones incorrectly calling my double wedding ring project a pickle dish. I did wonder what the difference was and thought maybe it was because of the skinny strips. Oh well. I absolutely love almost every version of the wedding ring pattern. Good luck on yours!

I think that them pickle dish name comes for a recently published pattern by a famous fabric designer/quilter who I wont name but he is from the UK….anyway since then it seems everyone calls it Pickle dish….If you do a search for Pickle dish quilts you get more results for this than you do the “real” one, which is done with little triangles in the arches..Magazines, patterns, books, are all calling it pickle dish so I guess that is how pattern names evolve….be that as it may I love them all….mine is a good way off yet since I really have so many others to finish….but its fun to think about

6. Jill C. says:

The red pops! It would be a very interesting as I can see a secondary pattern emerge. Perhaps you could try a sample block?

Comments