Sunday upadtes… Garden and Quilt

Back Yard

The Garden is growing.  I took some pictures this morning, and now I need to get to work on weeding!

Click Pictures to enlarge

Making progress on the Quilt

And I have a turf war going on in the front yard.  A pair of Cardinals is nesting in the neighbors Tree and Robins  on my front porch.  They don’t like each other and spend the day fighting with one another.

6-23-13 043 6-23-13 044 6-23-13 045 6-23-13 046

Happy Sunday

29 thoughts on “Sunday upadtes… Garden and Quilt

Such a wonderful place! I love the Seven Sisters roses! And you are either a great photographer to hide all the weeds, or there aren’t any! We have a turf war all the time, between the barn swallows, the blue birds and the wrens and of course the wrens win out most of the time!

2. Barbara Clarke says:

Thank you for sharing the pictures of your garden. I just want to hop on a plane and go see it in person. Everything looks so lush and healthy. I live in the central valley of California (hot in summer), so many of the plants you have in your garden would fry here, although some would probably survive our mild spring. Do you have a drip system for watering or do you water by hand?

3. Eileen Mele says:

One summer years ago the nesting birds in the backyard took a dislike to our cat. They would swoop down and peck him about the head! He got so nervous he would duck before crossing the yard! It was because of the baby birds, no doubt. Real entertaining, but noisy!

4. Pamela says:

I dread the weeding. I really haven’t done much this year and my flower beds are full of them.I usually plant some annuals, but couldn’t this year. Do you mulch your beds to keep the weeds down? I have a bird feeder in one bed and the seed droppings sprout continuously. I laid black plastic & covered it with bark, when I put the bed together, but that hasn’t stopped the weeds.

Love the quilt! Enjoyed your presentation at the CCQG on Tuesday.

I dont like weeding either!….I am putting in some mulch today and I should have done it a month ago…its a lot harder to get it in when the plants are bigger! I dont think there is a way to keep the birdseed from sprouting…Happens to me all the time
      Glad you enjoyed the presentation…I really enjoyed doing it!

5. Sharon Eshlaman says:

I am just speechless. I’ve never seen anything like it – not even in garden magazines – your yard is spectacular! And look what you did with the street bed :-) And your quilt is coming along and it looks great. As far as the turf war, send my man Teddy out there to set some quidelines for those bickering little feathered friends. Somehow, I suspect Teddy doesn’t care to hear all the squabbling. Thanks for making me smile today.

Thanks Sharon!, Teddy doesnt like the brids fighting….he hears them but he cant ever see them….hes at the door looking for them a lot, but he wont look up

6. Rita Larson says:

Your yard is wonderful. Our heat is about to begin. Dread that. I’ll put my money on the robin. They are mean little Mommas!

so far momma robin is holding her ground and poppa robin is doing the fighting….they are both so territorial I am surprised they nested so close together

7. Janine Huisjen says:

More wonderful garden pictures! I am quite new to gardening and so uncertain of what to plant where. I’m learning mostly by error and error. Do you have a basic garden plan that you could share sometime? I was hoping to go to your presentation at the CCQG. I haven’t been a member for some years, but would love to have seen your quilts. We were out of town doing grandbaby daycare for the week, though, which I wouldn’t have missed for the world.

Sorry that you weren’t able to make it, but very glad that you got to spend time with the Grand baby!
      As far as a garden plan….every site is different, different soil, light, space etc. The best is to try different things and see what works. I have been working on my garden for over 10 years…adding more each year…A garden evolves over time and the plants will let you know if they like the spot they are planted…so I dont use a specific plan, because what works in one garden would not work in another. Even as close as next door to me I would have to do it very differently.

8. Hilda says:

Such a pleasure to see your garden – the front has come along beautifully! Must be wonderful for you to see the birds enjoying it too – no wonder they are having property disputes. I just love this quilt too – as usual you have a marvellous sense of colour in the quilts you work on, and the quilting suits it perfectly.

Thanks Hilda
      something new every week in the garden…..the birds do seem to like it, in a few weeks when more things are blooming it will be full of butterflies
      a few more weeks and the quilt should be done…..if I spend enough time on it

9. Cheryl says:

Hi Tim,
    Your garden is beautiful what a pleasure to see also love the quilts.

10. Michelle says:

Your garden is just stunning! And you’ve taken me back in time with your Seven Sisters roses. My grandmother had a Seven Sisters rose bush growing in her backyard and I haven’t seen one since she passed away 13 years ago. I would love to have one. Where did you find it?

11. gardnerpam6 says:

did you plant the median flowers? I feel sorry for the robins

12. Victoria says:

Tim, I am loving this new way of “pin basting” Just popped a lap quilt I finished 20+ yrs ago in my hoop floor frame and got started on it right away. I tell you are so inspiring to me to get more quilts done!

Comments