Rainy Day

LoneStar 012

Its been raining off and on today and yesterday so I have not spent any time in the garden.  I have been working on quilting but I didn’t want to show more pictures of that until It is done.  I have been trying to think of something original to post about today so I decided to show another vintage UFO.

This Lone Star quilt top is nearly finished.  I will just need to add the setting pieces to finish it and do a bit of patching.

LoneStar 009 LoneStar 011

It is 64″ wide so it will make a good-sized quilt.

There is a hole in it (likely mice)

LoneStar 003

Fortunately I have lots of the original fabric and the original makers template.

LoneStar 004

I have to decide what to put in those corners and since I have matching fabric I might do something like this:

lonestar.index1

lonestar.index2

Or I could do the traditional setting

lonestarindex3

There is no big rush to decide!…I have tons of others that are ready to go, but I am always thinking several quilts ahead.

In Floral Design class last night I taught about Tropical flowers and using negative space.

designs 6-27-13 015LoneStar 008

18 thoughts on “Rainy Day

1. Judy says:

Your blogs are always interesting Tim, but now I want to know what is it your NOT showing us……!

2. Judy says:

PS. Most of what you have in that lovely display I have in my garden, however ….it’s mid winter here!

3. Joana says:

Lovely quilt—a lone star is on my bucket list. At this point, i’m going to need to stick around til about age 120 and still be quilting.

4. I wish we had rain, but instead it is so hot outside that I am also inside working on a quilt.

5. kathie says:

so many great choices…have fun choosing.
    Kathie

6. Sharon Eshlaman says:

Like always, I can’t wait to see how you finish the lone star. I know you will do it justice. Hi to the Inspector!

7. Pamela says:

Love the vibrant colors of the Lone Star quilt. I took a class last year that demonstrated a strip piecing method to make one and it uses fall colors. I haven’t done anything with the piecing since but, I have a friend that finished hers and she loves it. I prefer the setting with the stars in the four corners. It adds to the quilt without detracting from the center design.

8. Linda Cronise says:

Hi Tim,
    Your quilt is beautiful !! I have just made one very similar to yours. I have ask a few of my friends what color thread to use and of course I have several different answers. I have a dark eggplant on the corners so I’m not sure what to use. If I use black I don’t think it will show up and if I match every color that means about 6 spools of quilting thread ???What do you suggest.
    Linda

I like to use all one color. I almost always use white thread unless I am doing big stitching with thick embroidery thread…so I would probably use white….but everyone has their own preference…..

I am going gaga for that traditional setting , the one with the mini stars in the interstices of the main star, the red/green/white. Stunning. May be traditional, I have not seen that one. It does kind of limit the creativity of the quilting design, though.

Comments