More About Lone Star Quilts

2010_0113top-inventory-tub50065

Yesterday I posted about a lone star top  that I have in my collection that is nearly finished.

LoneStar 001

A quilt appraiser/historian and friend (Teddy Pruett) told me that she has seen this one many times and it is a “die cut”   I took another look at it and I agree.  The diamonds are cut so perfectly that it is clear they are die cut, remember this is years before there were rotary cutters and cutting mats.

There were companies that sold pre-cut pieces for quilting.  I dug out some of my old quilting papers and found this catalog.

mickey-precuts

lonestar-precuts

And here is a page from Nov 1932, Successful Farming (not sure if this one had pre cuts for sale because this is the only page I have)

lonestar-farmers

Here is a pre-cut   kit in my collection

2010_0507auntmartha-star0008

2010_0507auntmartha-star0013 2010_0507auntmartha-star0016

Here is a top that I finished.

2010_0113top-inventory-parts0102

It started as just the star, I added the red around it and the smaller stars.  It was a lot of work to get this one flat!   The diamonds in this could have been bought as pre cuts

Here is another .  This one was finished when I got it.

2010_0113top-inventory-tub50065

And here is another that needs to be finished

2010_0113top-inventory-parts0100

Here is one that i am sure was made form a kit.  I got the top from eBay and hand quilted it.

2010_1106quiltsrmqm0002Owinja-detail

And here is another top from a pre cut kit.

2010_1108Autumn-20110001

Looks beautiful until you look a bit more closely

2010_1108Autumn-20110007

This is how the star pattern almost always goes wrong!  The seam allowances are off so it ends up with no way to make it flat.

2010_1108Autumn-20110003 2010_1108Autumn-20110005 2010_1108Autumn-20110008

I will need to take it apart and see if I can save it.

Many many of these star quilts were made with die cut pieces or kits, but not always successfully!

Back to work

23 thoughts on “More About Lone Star Quilts

1. Really interesting! When I saw your hand-quilting on the Lone Star, I actually got goosebumps!! So inspiring!

2. Kathi says:

Tim, I am planning to make a lone star quilt… how do I avoid the volcano in my piecing. I have quilt in a day book on it and am planning to use yardage. Thanks! Kathi

the volcano comes from inaccurate seams…..if you are careful to keep all your seam allowances accurate it should not be a problem…..and accurate cutting is also important. If you use the quilt in a day book I assume it will be done with strip piecing and that should make it lots easier!

3. Sharon Eshlaman says:

Wow, I love the red, green, brown, gold, yellow top you got from ebay and quilted. It is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

4. mehitabel says:

One of my very first “major” quilt projects was a Lone Star–was going to go all the way to the Broken Star. Took a class from Blanche Young, who has the best method for doing it. I’ve also made several smaller ones, and I still love the pattern! Got another big one to finish, from a workshop with Jan Krentz at Asilomar. Mine have all been strip pieced, and no volcanoes in the centers!

strip piecing a new one is a very good way to do it, working with a hand pieced antique that went wrong is a very different process :)

• mehitabel says:

Very much so! Every time I’ve taught this pattern, someone will get a little carried away and wind up with a volcano–and then I have to show them how to take it apart, hand baste it till it fits perfectly, and then resew it. I would imagine it’s the same process–but I always hate to take out hand stitching, even if it’s in the wrong place!

5. njquilter24 says:

Love seeing your hand quilted one again. Love that quilt. I really like the fall looking one , last one. Oh I look forward to you quilting that one. No pressure:)

I have been itching to quilt that one….but there is so much work to be done to make it flat….I need to be in the right mood to take it all apart without causing any damage

Oh, you put a photo of that famous Broken Star of yours — the one that acts like catnip on Andrew. Must by lottery ticket to win jackpot to be able to purchase it at appropriate price.

7. audrey says:

I think my favorite is the one made with a lot of plaid fabrics! So homey looking for a lone star that the contrast is very compelling to me. The last one looks pretty bad, but I know you can work your magic on it and make us all envious.:)

The one with the plaids is my favorite too…..it was a real mess when I got it, someone had put it in the washing machine and dryer, it was a tattered frayed mess and I had to re make it then add the setting fabrics, but it was worth it

8. Some of the star quilts you show are in colorways offered in Aunt Martha Quilt Kits. If I remember correctly, the diamonds were provided and one had to add his/her own setting blocks. When I was too ill and weak to cut fabric, I made an Aunt Martha Lone Star and a Broken Star from kits.

9. quiltsalott says:

The star quilts must be a favourite with you. The quilted one looks gorgeous, love it.

10. Stunning quilts! Good luck with that last one!!

11. Mary Richardson says:

Just reading my new Quilters Newsletter and there you are. I will continue to follow you. Trying to get the nerve up to pick colors for a broken star. Really like blues! Pearl cotton for quilting is a new one for me but you make it look wonderful. I guess the strip method would be the way to go. Thanks sew much for such wonderful info. Keep up the good work!

Comments