Garden Update and new quilt top

garden update 8-2-13 007

I have had a very busy week.  Lots of teaching and little time to quilt, but I plan to make up for that this weekend!

I taught a class today on floral designs for weddings using garden flowers.  I used flowers from my garden.  I didn’t get any pictures from the class but here are a bunch of pictures of the garden.  The red garden sculpture is new today (still has a tag on it)

click pictures to enlarge

I got another vintage quilt top on Thursday.  the pattern is Texas Star/Hexagonal Star

This one is in great shape and just needs a good pressing to be ready to hand quilt

garden update 8-2-13 024 garden update 8-2-13 025 garden update 8-2-13 026 garden update 8-2-13 027 garden update 8-2-13 028 garden update 8-2-13 029 garden update 8-2-13 030

29 thoughts on “Garden Update and new quilt top

Ahhh, you have to start working on that new quilt next! nice find.
    Your garden is marvelous of course and I like that red thingy, does the wind spin it around?

2. Annette says:

Love the use of stripes in this

3. audrey says:

Lovely quilt top! Would love to make one someday myself.:)

4. karen says:

everything is looking beautiful as usual Tim – you have such a green thumb and the quilting thumb does a great job too :)

5. Vicky F says:

Hi Tim
    I sure hope your neighbors appreciate the fantastic eye candy you are providing them! Great garden! Nice quilt, too. Hi to Teddy.

6. NikkiM says:

As usual the garden is looking beautiful! Teddy must have been very busy watering it! Hehe

7. njquilter24 says:

love your garden would be so nice to be able to go outside and pick flowers to enjoy inside too!
    beautiful quilt top, love the block. wondered if you thought about adding white/cream/muslin fabric to the sides to make the quilt have an even edge? I would hate to bind a quilt with sides like that :)
    Kathie

Thanks!
      I love picking flowers from the garden!
      I am trying to decide what to do with those edges. I like the look but it is a lot harder to finish the way it is….one side has half blocks and I want to figure out what to do with that….so there will be a bit more work than I initially thought….but its going to be a great quilt

8. gladiporsche says:

Hi Tim. I discovered your blog several months ago and really enjoy checking in regularly to see and read about your quilting. I love what you are doing with vintage quilt tops and with your own creations, and, as a fellow serious hand quilter, very much appreciate your craftsmanship. I just won the Best Hand Quilting award at this year’s Vermont Quilt Festival and invite you to visit my web site gladiquilts.net to see my work (I blog too), if you’re interested. Thanks so much for sharing your work!! Gladi

9. Ann Hancock says:

Things are looking lovely as usual both in the garden and with the new top. It reminds me of a more geometric Grandmothers Flower Garden. I hope Garden Day went well–sounds like it :-)

That hexagon shape is very much like the flower garden….and with the yellow centers they do look more like flowers than stars to me….I think that is one reason I like it.
      I had a great day at Garden day….it is nice to get a chance to visit with people…..It was great to see Lee and Jane again…I missed her talk but I heard it was great

10. Donna K says:

Wonderful new quilt top! I am also curious on your plans to finish the edges. I will be patient.

I will be sure to do some posts about those edges….but I need to figure it out myself first ;) I just dont want to cut them off to make the edge straight

11. Janine Huisjen says:

The quilt reminds me of trillium, or maybe columbine. I really like the use of stripes and how the blocks are organized. If you don’t mind my asking, did you get the garden sculpture locally?

12. Victoria says:

Beautilicious!! Garden and quilt! Say! what’s that sign out front of your house?

13. It’s beautiful! Do you have any idea where I can get templates for this? I found one at a garage sale that is so far beyond “wonky”, it needs completely rebuilt.

14. barbvedder says: