Corduroy quilt

cord quilting 013

I have a wide range of interests when it comes to quilt styles.   I like them all, for different reasons.  For me the common factor is hand quilting.  If I can hand quilt it I like it.

A few weeks ago I posted  pictures of a vintage Corduroy quilt top (click pictures to enlarge)

Lots of people thought I was crazy.  But I started hand quilting it anyway!  Tell me something will be difficult and it becomes a challenge for me to prove that it is not.

So to make it even more of a challenge I bought corduroy fabric for the backing

cord quilting 001

I tacked it down to the floor.

cord quilting 002

then layered that batting (this is 80/20 cotton) and top.

cord quilting 003

Pin basted it.

cord quilting 004

And I am hand quilting it with various colors of perle cotton thread and an embroidery needle….Big Stitches

cord quilting 011 cord quilting 012

Here is the back

cord quilting 014 cord quilting 015

I can’t lie…it is not easy…..but It is going to be a really heavy warm quilt!

Since I have shown you a zillion pictures of the garden I decided to try a different approach.  I took these pictures through the windows.  They aren’t the clearest but you can get an Idea of the view out of the second floor. (click pictures to enlarge)

Friday I spend the Day teaching floral design….I didn’t get any pictures but a friend took a few

photo 3 photo 4 photo 5

Thursday Night was a Gala celebrating the 20th Anniversary of the MSU Horticulture Gardens.  I made the centerpieces.  (hard to tell from the pictures but they were beautiful)

photo 1 photo 2

Back to work

16 thoughts on “Corduroy quilt

1. Kate says:

This is an amazing quilt! I love it so much, always really enjoy looking at the ones you big stitch quilt the most. Can I ask – what size embroidery needle do you use, because I’m having a go at this too and finding it difficult. Also, what size perle cotton do you prefer for big stitch quilting? I love the free hand circles, thanks for all the pictures.

Thanks Kate
      I like size 8 perle cotton…and the needle is really big, but I dont know the size…the package had sizes 3 -9 in it and I have used them interchangeably …..with the big needle it is hard to do if you try to do it the same as you would normal quilting…the needle is just too long and wont behave….so it takes some time to adjust

2. Linda says:

Tim, your work is lovely, as always, but I have to say my hands are hurting just thinking about this. I hope you never have trouble with your hands.

3. Kate says:

Thanks for your reply Tim, I’m using the same needle and thread size so that’s a bit reassuring. I’ll persevere then and do it in shorter bursts. Really looking forward to seeing how your quilt progresses.

4. Gisele says:

Hi Tim
    Just wanted to let you know how much you inspire me. I’ve been following your blog for a while admiring all you wonderful quilts and have recently taken up hand quilting ……I’m now hooked!
    Best wishes, Gisele, Jersey, UK

PS, Love your beautiful garden too, gosh your rudbekias are far more advanced than mine!

5. audrey says:

Your floral bouquets are stunning! Wish I could afford to have fresh flowers at least occasionally.:) Great work on the cordoroy quilt too. Loving the big stitch circles!

6. Wanda says:

Are you quilting the corduroy in a hoop? I’ve tried hand quilting without a hoop and not had very good results.

7. Sharon in Michigan says:

Your floral designs are gorgeous! I never though a corduroy quilt could be quilted to look that fabulous. Your quilting fingers must be tough as nails! Thanks for the show.

8. Helen F says:

I absolutely luuuv your corduroy quilt!!!! Yes it will be a challange to quilt but using the perle cotton (I only use perle now) it will be really quick to finish, and sooo warm when you have finished it!!!!

Comments