Some Fan Quilting

11-26-13 001

I am starting to hand quilt the Bless Her Heart top I posted about last time http://timquilts.com/2013/11/22/bless-her-heart/

The block is called Rolling Stone among many other names

rolling stone

I am using muslin backing and wool batting. For thread I am trying out a huge spool I got from an antique dealer.

It was made by American & Efird Mills.  It is 4 cord left hand twist and there is 6000 yards on the spool.   I wondered how Old it was so I did Google search….began in 1891, on what was known as Dutchman’s Creek.  Charles Egbert Hutchison launched Nims Manufacturing Company with six investors. The company was successful and in 1920 was consolidated, with other textile mills, into a new corporation known as American Yarn and Processing Company. In 1947, the company bought controlling interest in the Efird Manufacturing Company, located in Albemarle, NC, and founded by J.S. Efird. After the completion of the merger between American Yarn Processing and Efird Manufacturing in 1952, the company name changed to American & Efird® Mills, Inc.  So the thread is from after that date of 1952.  And it is thick!  about twice as thick as normal weight hand quilting thread, and great to quilt with.

11-26-13 012

I marked some big arches with a #2 pencil and I am just roughly eyeballing the rest as I go.  My Intention here is not to make it perfect because I don’t think perfect fits with the top. (click pictures to enlarge)

Here is the back

11-26-13 010

And Teddy Dressed for Thanksgiving

11-26-13 007 11-26-13 008 11-26-13 009

And Happy Thanksgiving!

24 thoughts on “Some Fan Quilting

That will be a great quilt! And Teddy is all set for the feast day!

2. Really like the thread and the history, although must say your dog is well cute!

3. Ginney says:

I think it is great that you are bringing this old quilt to life. Can’t wait to see the finished product. I had never thought of quilting with antique thread before. Well, not that I’ve ever found any anyway. But it seems like it would be fragile or brittle. I will have to keep my eye out for some. Happy quilting!

I think some antique thread would be brittle….I imagine it depends on how old it is and how it was stored….this is really not all that old….from the 50′s….but it is fun to use…and I have a ton!

4. Kathy Johnston says:

The thread is really interesting, I have had older thread and wasn’t sure how you can tell if it’s strong enough. With the left hand twist, so thread was made with a right or left hand twist? would a left hand twist quilt better for a left hand person? One more ? :) With the fan , do you start marking in the center? I’m also doing a fan pattern but haven’t marked the top yet.

The way I can tell it is strong enough is by trying it…If it doesnt break after a few lengths are quilted in I feel like it will be fine…..as far as the left hand twist goes…I cant say….it is in the manufacture…the direction the fibers are twisted, the only reason I know on this ones it that it is written on the label…marking…If you want it to be even and pretty and in the fan pattern start at an edge and mark in….I am not trying for uniform or regular so I just marked a few big arcs in the middle and worked around it

5. audrey says:

Really lovely quilt. The soft colors are very cozy looking. I just cut out some Rolling Stones blocks myself.:)

6. Dorothy says:

Loving what you are doing with this quilt. The colors have been some of my longtime favorites. Teddy is proud and such a ham, too. Enjoy your Thanksgiving and eat lots of goodies.

7. Pam Gardner says:

I love the colors in this quilt. Teddy looks darling (as always). Happy Thanksgiving! We are having a heavy storm here in western N.Y. but no traveling to do.

Oh, I thought this would be about some of your many quilt fans quilting in your wake. Nonetheless, the fans you quilted look gorgeous from behind.

9. Teddy says:

I can’t believe you are already working on this! Can’t wait to see how that homely little thing takes on a new life. I’ll be watching.

10. Chris(Tine) says:

Love youre Teddy. I also had a”Teddy” but he died recently cause off a stroke. We had him for 15 years. Still miss him a lot. Much succes with youre quilt!

11. Dawn says:

Good Morning Tim! Love this post. Warms my handquilting heart. What size needle will you use with this thread?
    Enjoy this so much.
    Have a blessed Thanksgiving.

12. Bonnie Kisser says:

Always enjoy your posts. So happy you don’t insist on perfection.

Sent from my iPad