More Hand Quilting

11-30-13 001

I did some more hand quilting yesterday…it is moving along fairly fast now that I have a rhythm going.  I am quilting in a 22″ hoop on a stand and the arcs in the quilting vary in size but are about 18″ across.

11-30-13 004Here are some more pictures (click to enlarge)

I said earlier that I might only do one tree….but I had to do the Santa tree

2011_0130santa-trees-20110019

click pictures to enlarge

One more tree….not decorated yet, but here is the tree skirt

11-30-13 022

30 thoughts on “More Hand Quilting

Nice tree skirt. Goodness, maybe I’m coming around to crazies after all these years.

2. Love the quilting..do you not baste first? Would LOVE not to baste.. also love the tree and tree skirt!

I baste with safety pins….not very many…but if you look you can see them in the picture….I used 9 rows of 9 pins for this 70 x 90 inch quilt….A few pins is all I need…..it isn’t as if the top will fly off without more :)

3. Karin Peirce says:

The quilting on that Rolling Stone is so perfect for it. It really sets off the pattern. And that tree skirt is wonderful…

4. audrey says:

Your quilting is beautiful! Love those full fans!

5. Carolanne says:

Always love that quilt fan pattern. Do you make the arc size to mathematically fit with the overall dimensions. I hope you understand me!

No Math!!….the pattern is actually a utility quilting pattern….traditionally used because it was fast, and requited no math….the arcs just run into one another however it works out….many quilters can work on a quilt around a frame at a church function (hence the term Baptist fan or Methodist fan)and their work can overlap easily…lots of people use templates now and try to make them prefect….if I use the pattern I like to do it free form as if it was being done on a frame by a group.

6. Alex says:

Love the quilting pattern. As always you are doing a wonderful job. It’s very similar to what I used on my first quilt. Teddy looks very flash too. Such a sweetie.

7. Carol says:

Oh, Tim….you are an inspiration! The quilting really makes this quilt stand up and shout “look at me!” Are you doing this free hand?

I am doing it free hand….I almost never use a template, and try to do as much as I can without marking, it is so much easier that way….but doesn’t work if you want perfect :)

8. Heather says:

The quilting is lovely on this and perfectly harmonizes with the top, such nice work. I just bought the magazine with your article in it Tim – en enjoyable article and as always, I am impressed with personal skill rather than the many gadgets !

9. Beverly Threadgill Robey says:

Tim, you are f-a-s-t! Perfect quilting design for the pattern, and the tree skirt is just lovely.

10. Joan says:

Come on now Tim — you can do more than one! I want to see them all! Love this one. I recognize a few from our family tree, especially the big Scottish one.

11. One day I want to come and actually watch you hand quilting with the big hoop on the stand…….I just can’t “get it” and mine sits idle, a mere room decoration!!

12. Laura in IA says:

I know quilting makes the quilt, but yours makes it WOW!

13. Pam G. says:

Tim – your work is amazing! You so inspire me & I’ve learned a lot following your posts. Love the tree skirt – now I want to make one similar!

14. Marie says: