Finished

12-8-13 009

Nov 22 I began a remake on an antique top,  read about that here http://timquilts.com/2013/11/22/bless-her-heart/

Today I finished it.  It is all hand quilted.

12-8-13 003

(the color is off here….it is not this bright but the flash does that)

I went with big fan quilting because it seemed appropriate for the quilt.  I did not select this pattern to enhance the blocks or the piecing, to the contrary I did it to cover up the imperfections.  The big sweeping arcs are in contrast to the piecing and hide the fact that the lines aren’t straight, and the points are all cut off.

The batting is wool, which is very light in weight but has a lot of loft which helps to make the quilting defined and also helps to take up the puckers that I was unable to get out of the top.

12-8-13 007I did a very narrow binding, and a muslin backing.

Here are more pictures of it fresh out of the washer and dryer (click to enlarge)

42 thoughts on “Finished

1. katechiconi says:

What a work of love and dedication. And now you have a thing of beauty instead of a poor orphan child that everyone has given up on. Congratulations, and I’m lost in admiration!

2. Joan says:

You are amazing and such a fast quilter!

3. Francie says:

As always….an ugly duckling turned into a swan. Lovely, Tim.

That is one of my favorites that you have done! WOW!

5. Eileen Mele says:

These old treasures are in luck when you find them. You work with such respect for their qualities and content! You should have enough to have a decent quilt show all your own! Thanks for not cutting them up into bits and bobs!

6. audrey says:

Great job! I love how you take an abandoned quilt top and match it up with the best batting and stitching. Nobody looking would ever realize you were trying to hide puckers because now it’s got an amazing new look to show off.:)

7. Sandra Robben says:

My compliments for your work and thank you for explaining so well what you choose to do and why. It really makes the quilt better but if I would see only the finished quilt I would probably not reckognize the steps you had to take to get it there.

8. KerryCan says:

I love the insight you give us–it’ll help others come up with strategies for making these old tops into something beautiful, rather than just discarding them or cutting them up!

9. Sharon in Galesburg MI says:

Perfection – as usual.

10. Ann says:

I am going to be using wool batting for the first time to hand quilt. Do you do anything to the wool batt prior to quilting? Thank you and thank you for sharing with us the beautiful “rescued” quilt tops. Great article in the last Quilters Newsletter. Ann

I just take it out of the package and layer it…nothing special….this is Hobb’s Tuscany wool batting and I have never had any problems with it….and it washes up beautifully

It’s lovely and cheery — a happy quilt. What’s the score now — I think you were at 10 for the year, probably this makes 12? You have plenty of time to finish or knock off another one during the rest of the year.

12. janhatchett says:

Love the respect you have for the quilters of yore. You sure did this one’s quilt top proud!

13. Suzanne says:

The arcs really were the perfect choice. It looks great.
    As we get close to New Years can you give us a total of how many tops became quilts in 2013? You truly are a dynamo!

14. karen says:

I wish I could quilt as fast as you do and I could get some more finishes done. The quilting you did indeed covers up the imperfections of the piecing in the quilt that you showed us at the start.

15. Pam G. says:

What more can I say that hasn’t already been said?! Ditto everything said. Your work is awesome & I wish I could see it in person.

16. Isn’t quilting on wool batting great? My only source in Israel (it was Hobbs Tuscany Wool) closed, so it’s back to cotton for me.

17. Ginney says:

It’s beautiful. How in the world do you gets things done so quickly?

18. Looks fabulous Tim – you are a machine!!

19. Pam Gardner says:

love the quilting on this one Tim

20. tdspringer says:

Simply amazing…not only how lovely it turned out, but that you can hand quilt so quickly!!!

21. myrosesindecember says:

As always, it is beautiful and the colors remind me of summer. I think you chose the perfect quilting design.

22. Another beauty. Bravo!

23. Helen F says:

Can’t believe how fast you quilted this quilt – it looks amazing!!! (as do all your quilts!!!!) Luv the christmassy background on your blog!

Comments