Ocean Wave Quilt top

ocean waves 001

I bought another antique quilt top from eBay.  The pattern is Ocean Wave

ocean wave

It is full of great antique fabrics and has a great border fabric.  Here are a bunch of pictures (click to enlarge)

Teddy gave it  his “sit on it” test and he approves

ocean waves 025

I am getting back to work on the suspension bridge quilt….I would have bet money I would have had this one finished by now but I am just too easily distracted :) but  I  did finished 4 or 5 other quilts at the same time I was working on this.

ocean waves 028

20 thoughts on “Ocean Wave Quilt top

1. Sheri Ketarkus says:

As we say in my family (when distractions hit), too many shiny things! (U can adopt that if u want)

Sent from my iPhone

2. Annette, NC says:

Hi tim,
    Is that Ocean Waves hand or machine pieced? Just curious.

3. Pam G. says:

What a pretty top! Can’t wait to see it quilted. And Teddy – too cute, as always. He always puts a smile on my face. BTW – if your ears were burning this a.m., it was me talking about you & your fabulous work in my Thurs quilt group.

4. katechiconi says:

I love the pattern. If I was ever to make a quilt of all the same blocks, this would be high on the list of contenders. How do you plan to quilt it?

It will likely be a very long time before I get to it…..I have well over 200 to do….I wont think about how to quilt it until I get ready to actually do it….

5. Teddy obviously has good taste.

6. Kathi says:

I have been distracted with errands and Christmas cards.. must get back to stitching… right after I comment on how well I love that black white and red fabric on the suspension bridge pic you showed… and how cool to get a top in such excellent condition as ocean waves seems :) Kathi

the black and white and red fabric came from a package of fat quarters I bought at an AQS show in 2012….I cant remember what line it is from….but the whole bundle had some great fabrics

7. myrosesindecember says:

Another winner – and a pattern that is on my To Do list, along with Lady of the Lake. I hope to do each in blues, greens and purples. This one is just wonderful. I am sure it will be as lovely as the others you have rescued. Glad Teddy approves.

8. Marjorie says:

If it weren’t for the fact you actually get these things done, I might suggest an INTERVENTION

LOL…..but No…..when you are a collector (which I am) it doesn’t matter if they ever get done…they still have great value to me as examples of styles and eras of quilts, fabrics, piecing, block patterns, etc. and are great for lectures and show and tell….so even if they never get finished by me I can still collect them…..stamp collectors don’t use their stamps on letters, coin collectors don’t use their coins in vending machines

9. Donna K says:

Ocean waves, wow. That old pattern is on my list of ones that I want to piece. Looks like you found a really nice top. Can you date it?
    I like what Marjorie said in the post just before me, if it weren’t for the fact that you actually get these things done she might suggest an intervention!
    Happy quilting Tim.

That teal-ish fabric as the central piece is extremely striking — I’m not used to seeing dark solids in the middle of this family of quilt patterns. Is that me or is it more common than I think?

11. Darlene Reid, Gilbert, Az. 85296 says:

Dear Tim,
    Just read your article in Quilters Newsletter, then came to your site.
    I am a quilter for 30 some years and old quilt tops have been an interest/love of mine and I agree that the persons who made them probably really intended to quilt them,
    I am now a quilter with the Gilbert, Arizona Historical Museum. I am one of 12 quilter/volunteers at the Museum who meet weekly there to quilt tops which are brought to the Museum to be quilted. Our wait time is 2-3 years.
    We have two large floor frames which are always full.
    More than 50% of the quilts we finish are old. up to over 100 yeas old
    Every time we finish an old quilt we say that a quilter is dancing up in Heaven because their quilt finally got finished.
    I also feel that I should pay the Museum because of the privilege of being able to see and quilt these wonderful, interesting, quirky, old quilts.
    And do justice too them,
    Some really old ugly duckings have finished as passable old swans.

Comments