A Project for the New Year

I mainly collect quilt tops (vintage and antique), and hand quilt some of them as time permits.  Once quilted I use them, and keep them.   I also use the unquilted tops for lectures, to demonstrate about designs, styles, construction, fabrics, planning the quilting, repair, etc.

Occasionally I will hand quilt a project for a friend.  I have an exciting friend protect that I plan to start in the new year.

This beauty is in perfect condition except for a bit of dirt.  It’s corners are cut out to fit a poster bed as was common in antique quilts. I would not want to add corner pieces to it because even though it is how we make quilts now I want to keep it as close to it original intent as possible.   I love the design, the colors, the fabrics, the boarders ….everything about it just makes me happy.  I am looking forward to getting to work on it.

here are some pictures (click to enlarge)

I want to do this justice by quilting it as much as I can like it would have been quilted in the era it was made.

Here is an example of the kind of dense quilting that I plan for this.

745c

I will be using a thin cotton batting and a muslin backing to match the front.

I will post progress along the way when I get going on it, but I thought you might like a teaser of things to come.

48 thoughts on “A Project for the New Year

1. Sharon Eshlaman in Galesburg says:

Now that is gorgeous! I know you will do it justice. I can’t wait to see it come together. Thanks for sharing.

2. Kathleen Campbell says:

I like todays’ featured quilt. Will be looking forward as you finish it.
    ALSO, I love all the people on your tree! Merry Christmas.

3. Pam G. says:

Wow! This is going to be beautiful. Can’t wait to see your progress.

4. Joan says:

OMG! Both fabulous!

5. Marcia Ahlbrand says:

Beautiful top … and will be more so when you finish it! Lucky friend! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours, Tim

6. Joy says:

Tim, I truly appreciate your sharing your exquisite work with those of us not so skilled. Keep warm and sane with all the quilting! Joy Florida temp is 48 and climbing

Ok, if the friend doesn’t like it when you are done, can I be the next friend in line?
    Merry Christmas!

8. Kathi says:

Love this quilt top and will love to see you quilting it in the new year… I have a vintage top to be repaired… is it best to trim edges of a top that are worn or try to repair somehow?? Mine are frayed… the rest of the top is in great shape though! I also plan the muslin backing you recommended (already have it) and the cotton batting too (already have it)! Thanks for any advice on saving as much of this nice top as possible :) Kathi

that all depends on how frayed it is, how that will change the overall look, will it cause the blocks to look off…..I do not like to trim away anything….much better to replace pieces with fabric of the period…..if it is very frayed on the edges I would worry that the entire thing has been washed (in a machine) if that is the case all the seams will also be frayed and weakened and I would not recommend putting to much effort into hand quilting it because it will be very week. and all the seams likely to open up over tiem

• Kathi says:

thanks for your advice Tim… hasn’t been washed I know… so I will just look for some feed sacks in January for replacement fabrics :) Kathi

9. Bonnie Kisser says:

I understand how you can hardly wait!

Sent from my iPad

10. Ann Hancock says:

WOW…this one is spectacular! It will be even more so when it’s quilted.

Are the edges for the corners raw? I am wondering if it was deliberately constructed that way because the maker had a particular bed in mind. Sometimes coverlets are made this way.

Glad it will be finished now.

Please tell the snow to go away. I have my Audubon Christmas Count tomorrow with lots of walking :-(

Ann

it was definitely made this way for a poster bed….all the edges are raw as is normal for any quilt top….raw edges all the way around (unless they were planning to use it as is without any quilting)
      I want the snow to go away too! but have fun on the count and stay warm!

11. Renie says:

Thank you Tim. I very much enjoyed this post. Renie

12. Janet says:

A teaser indeed!! What an incredibly beautiful top. I know your quilting will do it justice. I look forward to following along!

13. rosyragpatch says:

That’s a beautiful quilt top. I look forward to seeing your progress.

14. Dorothy says:

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful quilt with us. Look forward to seeing more of your beautiful work.

15. Karen says:

That will be a stunner when you finish it.

16. Nancy says:

what a great top to get to quilt!

17. Leslie says:

What a wonderful way to start out the new year! I always look forward to seeing what you have planned for you next project. You and Teddy have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
    Leslie

18. Sometimes, when I’m scrolling down on the WordPress reader I don’t see the bloggers names, especially if I’m scrolling quickly. Most of the blogs I follow are either science of quilting/sewing blogs however, I can tell a Tim Latimer post at a glance.
    If there’s a picture of a magnificent quilt that makes me green with envy it’s a Tim Latimer post. :-D

What you you say is the age of the quilt top?

20. This will be a joy to watch as you bring it to its’ fullest beauty. The maker would be proud you will honor her with your stitches.

21. judy dietrich says:

Tim, you mentioned that this quilt top has some dirt issues. How will you deal with those?? This is a gorgeous quilt applique design, and those colors are just vibrant!! Hand quilting will just add to the beauty, especially the dense quilting. Happy Holidays to you & Teddy

I will do what I always do….wash it when I have finished quilting it……in this one the dirt is mostly 150 years of dust so it wont take much more than a rinse to get it clean
      and happy holidays to you as well

22. Suzanne says:

Lovely appliqué. Have you quilted many appliqued quilts before?
    I can’t wait to see your super quilting on this beauty.

23. Tim This quilt is just gorgeous!!! The colors are so beautiful and I can’t wait to see it all finished!!! Thank you for posting your lovely work!!! I hope to get back to my sewing, quilting and other needlearts after the Christmas Holidays!!! Winter is upon us and there is nothing more enjoyable than snuggling in and creating with our hands and minds and giving to those we love and also keeping many of those creations to pass down to future generations.

24. Becky Loader says:

This is especially interesting to me as I just found a variation of “Rose of Sharon” in pinks in an antique shop. The sewer put it all together by hand and mitered the corners. I soaked in in Orvus and all the yellow tinge came out of the muslin. I can hardly wait to hand quilt it! Thanks for the illustration above showing the dense quilting. I originally thought I would echo quilt, but now I think an overall, denser pattern would be better.

Comments