Ice Storm

It started raining yesterday and continued through the night.  The Ice accumulated and there are many trees down.  Every once in a while I hear a loud noise and I know a big tree limb is crashing down somewhere near by.  Fortunately the power is still on and I have no major damage, but the forecast is for more rain/drizzle until noon and then snow tonight and tomorrow :(

Here are some pictures of the results (click to enlarge)…Ice can be beautiful as well as destructive

Now back to quilting

Merry Christmas :)

50 50

22 thoughts on “Ice Storm

1. Cuauhtémoc Q. Kish says:

Beautiful images, but there is a reason I pay the higher taxes and live in San Diego.

2. karen says:

lucky you didn’t loose power – happened to us a couple weeks ago we still have tree limbs to clear up

3. Francie says:

Hi Tim, When the ice storm of 1998 hit us, my husband was still a policeman. So, I hardly saw him, for almost 14 days. He came home for quick sleeps, a change of clothes, and to bring me water and food. We had no electricity, no phone. We live out in the country…so, I had to be the one that held down the fort. I am proud to say, our pipes didn’t freeze, I learned to “flush” using only a small bucket of water, I kept a fire going in the wood stove (for heat and hot water, and keeping the water pipes safe.). So, the reason I am telling you this is, I learned a few things. Batteries, flashlights, bottled water, peanut butter and crackers….IMPORTANT. Those garden lights (when charged up) can be brought into the house for a bit of night light. If you put them (or candles) in front of a mirror you get a bigger bang for your dollar. Get up EARLY, go to bed EARLY, you will maximize your daylight. It really helps the day pass … because you can still do things (like quilting and reading)!!! Also cuddling Teddy will keep both of you warm!! If I think of anymore “must knows” I’ll pass them on. Good luck Tim. The same storm is heading up our way (south-east Ontario) as well. This time I have “help”….hahahaha

4. Samuel Graziano says:

You wield a camera almost as well as you do a needle. Got chilled looking at these and remembering when I, too, lived in an area where we had ice storms and snow. Burr. I live in sunny (54 degrees right now) Arizona in the Phoenix area. Summer isn’t too bad here as long as the temps stay under 110 – it’s a “dry” heat you know. LOL

Merry Christmas, and thank you so much for sharing your beautiful work and many, many quilting tips and much inspiration. Have a wonderful, safe, and Happy New Year – Jan

5. audrey says:

Wow! Beautiful pictures but yes, I’m sure it can be extremely destructive. Glad to hear you’re feeling better! Happy holidays to you and Teddy.

6. Robbie Payne says:

We had same ice storm here….your pics are beautiful although could be not so good on homes/power/etc! Happy Holidays!

7. Jane S. says:

That reminds me of when I was a kid — my dad used to go out with a stick and knock the ice off the fruit trees so that the branches wouldn’t come down. So glad that you and Teddy didn’t lose power! Camping out in your own home isn’t as much fun as it sounds.

Have a wonderful Christmas. :)

8. Dorothy says:

Merry Christmas Tim, to you and your family. Ice storms are no fun even out here in the great Pacific NW. Hope you do not lose power, we were once out for 7 days. Thank God for generators. Wishing you a Happy Healthy New Year. Keep warm. . . .

9. myrosesindecember says:

The photos are gorgeous, but the ice can be so treacherous to the trees. Back to back ice storms cost us a 5 clump birch years ago. I begged my then husband to get it cabled but he would not. It bounced back for a few years but then, when two trees of the clump lay completely across our street, the tree had lost its “oomph” for rebound and had to be cut down. Broke my heart as it was the focal point of the front yard. I am glad you and Teddy are doing will and are not affected too badly by the storm. We are having rain and almost 70 degrees but within two days, we are expected to be back in the 30s. Strange weather her on the upper East Coast. Merry Christmas!

10. LoriD says:

Saty safe! Stay warm! Merry Christmas Tim- Happy quilting!!

11. karen says:

Tim you haven’t posted since the ice storm hit – I’m wondering if your power eventually went out – hope you are doing ok!

12. Christine says:

Sorry to hear about your back and that you are feeling better soon!

Comments