Dr Seuss Quilt Finished

???????????????????????????????

I finished the Dr Seuss Quilt last night.  This is the fastest I ever made a quilt!  I bought the fabric on Saturday Jan 4 http://timquilts.com/2014/01/04/dr-seuss-quilt/

Dr Seuss 001

I did the piecing and started quilting the next day….http://timquilts.com/2014/01/06/dr-seuss-quilt-progress/

and last night I finished the quilting and added the binding

???????????????????????????????

Dr Seuss finished 003

The backing is really a light blue flannel but it is photographing as white :(

the quilting is a series of overlapping circles (similar to Baptist fans but the circles are more complete, Baptist fans are closer to 1/4 of a circle)

Dr Seuss drawings are so quirky that I decided to go with “imperfect” quilting.  I market the outside of each circle with a small plate but the inside quilting ( the concentric rings) was just quilted free hand) the result is that no 2 are the same and I think that works with the fabric.  The circles are a nice contrast with the square blocks.

The quilting went fast because I did utility/big stitch quilting at about 6 stitches per inch.  Once again the fabric told me how to quilt.  These quirky whimsical figures didn’t seem to call for meticulous tiny stitches….I think relaxed and casual is a better fit.

I still need to add a label and wash it ( with the sub-zero temps in the last few days the pipes to the washing machine have frozen so that is on hold)

I might need to start making more baby quilts….they go so fast that it sure makes you feel productive!

Now back to  one of the many UFO’s in the pile!

25 thoughts on “Dr Seuss Quilt Finished

1. Ann says:

This looks great! Your blog helped inspire my new year’s resolution to try hand quilting!

2. Mike Pearson says:

Very nice! That was fast. I love Dr. Seuss so I have been following these posts more closely. Love how it turned out :) I’m curious as to what implement you use to mark the circles (pen etc.) I remember that you used a plate for a template.

since the quilt is dark (sashing) and light (blocks) I used 2 pencils…..on the light I used a #2 pencil….disposable BIC .5mm from office depot, on the dark I used a Fons and Porter Mechanical marking pencil with white lead ….its not lead its something like a chalk?….I bought it at Joann fabrics

• Good to know! I guess both pencils wash out easily? I am worried about regular lead that you used on the light sections. I’m thinking of doing my first hand quilted project so this is super helpful. I generally machine quilt (freehand) and don’t mark anything. I have one of those blue markers that supposedly washes out, but I have heard horror stories of it not washing out sometimes!

they wash out fine for me…..the lead pencil I use a very light marking ….but it washes out fine for me….I also often use the blue markers and they wash out beautifully if you don’t expose them to heat….(no pressing, don’t leave in a hot car or by a heat vent) and when done give the entire thing a rinse only ( no detergent) in cold water, then wash as desired….I have never had any problem with them…..but my real preference is to do as much as I can with no marking at all

3. Dorothy says:

Very nice baby quilt, sure gives one ideas for charity quilts for children. Thank you for sharing your gift of quilting with us Tim. I really enjoy every one. . .

4. audrey says:

That big stitching goes so fast! Great job on the baby quilt. This one is whimsical enough to be a favorite for a long time!

5. Joan gale says:

So fun and well thought out!

6. katechiconi says:

That’s one lucky baby, and with the weather you’re getting, I’m guessing the extra warmth will be appreciated too!

7. Oh my!
    I want to make one! I always felt that using printed panels would look cheap and part me always felt it was cheating. I am now convinced that i was wrong. Simple and spectacular. Bravo!

I apologise for the excessive use of exclamation marks but I needed to exclaim a great deal. :-)

LOL….I have always had the same feeling, but adding the sashing goes a long way to make it less “manufactured” looking….and the printed blocks aren’t really big so that helps a lot

8. Janet says:

What a super fast quilt. It looks great and I love how you went free hand inside the circles, a perfect fit for the quilt.

Thanks Janet!…..the bast part of a simple quilt like this (apart from the fact that it is a gift for a loved one) is that it went really fast and that really gave me a boost of energy

9. Francie says:

Bravo and Congratulations….it’s a lovely gift!!!

10. karen says:

Tim I hear you with frozen pipes – we had a cracked line in the front yard yesterday that Mike was out in 27 degree weather fixing all afternoon! hope it warms up soon for all of us!

11. Terri says:

You mentioned you were quilting about 6 stitches per inch on the Dr Seuss quilt. How many stitches do you use on your other pieces, like the Tree of Life?

Thank you for sharing all of your pieces!

I think the tree of life quilt is mostly at about 10 or 11…I really dont count very often….my goal is uniformity in stitch length…..large needle and thick thread makes for bigger stitches….small needle with thin thread makes for more stitches….so long as they are consistent I am happy

12. Gigi says:

When you start marking a quilt with the circles, where do you start the first circle? In the center or on an edge or ? I always seem to quilt myself into a corner where the last circle or circles don’t seem to fit with the others.

Comments