Sashing Vines

Basket if Lilies Sashing 005

I have been working on the Basket of Lilies Quilt for the last few days.  I have 3 of the blocks quilted and I am now working on the sashing that surrounds each of those blocks.

I said previously that I am doing the vines without a stencil, or freehand.  That doesn’t mean that I just stitch….for the vines I am freehand drawing the design with a pencil.

Basket if Lilies Sashing 001

I have been using an inexpensive mechanical pencil for marking for the last several quilts and I find that they wash out reliably. I also find that if you carefully follow the pencil lines with your quilting the pencil lines almost disappear even before you wash it

Basket if Lilies Sashing 002

Both the grid and the vines were marked (light pressure on the pencil) with pencil and you can see that the marks hardly show.

The sashing always takes longer than I anticipate but it is coming along.

??????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????

Teddy is happy with the quilting so far…but he will continue he job of inspector to be sure the quality dos not go down.

Basket if Lilies Sashing 007 Basket if Lilies Sashing 006

31 thoughts on “Sashing Vines

1. Kathi says:

Loving your quilting and how it enhances the quilt so much! Thanks for sharing a great beginning! Keep the progress photos coming… love your sashing! Kathi

2. Mardee Dowdy says:

This is really beautiful, Tim! I so enjoy your blogs and photos, following your work and seeing Teddy on the job. Another “duh!” moment as I read about freehand drawing the quilting design on the sashing. So much easier and unique than using a template for everything.

Thanks!
      I like to just draw the designs….it is easier for me and it also makes it unique…..but I wouldn’t do it for a “show” quilt…the judges really look for exact symmetry…
      but I really like the casual method of just doing it…

3. Aidan says:

Your work is truly amazing, and you inspire me to try new and more challenging things. One question — what kind of pencil do you use? A specific brand? I would like to try a grid on my next project, but all of the washable marking pencils I’ve used brush off, and I fear re-marking a 1/2 inch or 1 inch grid would be hard to do accurately after sandwiching and beginning to quilt. I’ve heard people say not to use regular lead pencils, but then I’ve heard others say that that was what their grandmothers used. I’m the insecure type, so I thought I would ask an expert! (Those Baptist fans are amazing!)

Well the one I am using is a regular pencil…I try not to press too hard and make a very dark line…but it is a regular pencil. I am using a BIC .07mm HB#2 from staples …it is an inexpensive mechanical pencil…disposable…and I bought a package of 24 for only a few dollars….Im sure you can find them at any office supply store…If you look at the picture you can see the actual pencil I used.

• Aidan says:

Thank you so much. My current quilt is all dark and bright colors, so it wouldn’t have worked, but my next will have a white background and I am going out at lunch to buy a pack of Bics!

4. NikkiM says:

Teddy is an amazing quilter! Hehe

5. Connie Johnson says:

So nice to have a quilt inspector on the job. Some days I need one. Love your quilting and the free hand design. Has more character and makes it more personal.

6. Elsie Dubois says:

Love the quilting. The vine is absolutely perfect. I’ve always used pencil to mark my quilting designs and have never had a problem. If you need help for a stubborn mark a drop or two of murphy’s oil soap in about 2 cups of warm water along with a toothbrush solves the problem

7. Eileen Mele says:

Your photos are magical. How you take a flat surface and give it dimensional shadows. Almost like sculpting with fabric. Amazing how you work so quickly, and still give some beautiful life to these quilts. It’s a fascinating skill, and I’m glad you share!

8. Pam says:

Tim-this has got to be my favorite quilt yet. I love the baskets and all your quilting is exquisite.

9. sandy says:

The yellow sashing is perfect! It gives a calm place for your eyes to rest. I also hand draw most of my hand quilting. I do have stencils of leaves (four sizes) on a keychain, that I often use to trace the leaves.

cool Idea having 4 of them handy like that….I have a pretty cool stencil vines and flowers….but it is 6″ wide…and when you draw your own it is easier to make it come out right at the corners

10. Lisa says:

I love the quilt and your quilting transforms the quilt into a work of art. Teddy’s quality check picture made me laugh. You brighten my day. Does inspector Ted have an heirloom of his own?

11. katechiconi says:

I like the freedom of the vines as a contrast to the very formal arrangement of the baskets. Glad you’re hand drawing rather than using a template, it makes it completely unique. Beautiful work.

12. Lisa Mikel says:

Your quilting is lovely. I love the vines! Teddy is looking as handsome as ever! I like the quilt top.

13. audrey says:

I stitched a similar design on a quilt sashing a couple years ago and loved it! Your quilt is looking wonderful.:)

14. Alex says:

As always I love the quilting and Teddy too. Such a handsome boy :-)

15. Victoria says:

I just love seeing how those few safety pins do their job of holding things in place just long enough for you to do your amazing quilting. Love it! Love it!

Comments