Strip Piecing the Pastel Quilt

I am working on piecing the Pastel (Easter) Quilt that I started yesterday.

easter stripes 001

I am using strip sets cut from the fat quarters. I have 20 fat quarters so that will determine how many blocks I can make.

I cut the strips 2.5 inches wide… and they are 22 inches long (the length of a fat quarter)

One set has 10 strips

strip piecing pastels 001

and is cut like this

strip piecing pastels 003

the 2 center triangles are the correct size…there are 4 triangles at the corners…these are joined to make 2 more full sized triangles.

The other set has 5 strips and is cut like this

strip piecing pastels 005

the 2 half triangles on the sides are joined to make another full triangle.

Here is the layout I am planning to use.  I have a few more rows to add yet.

strip piecing pastels 007

then I need to sew them together and add the border.

Happy quilting

21 thoughts on “Strip Piecing the Pastel Quilt

1. Kathi says:

totally cool looking! Thanks for sharing how you did it too… nice to have a large amount of fat quarters to make such a cool look in the end. :) Kathi

Thanks Kathi!!
      I bought the fabric at an AQS quilt show…2 packages of 10 fat quarters…so the choices were already made by the seller….next time I will post the sellers information so if anyone wants to buy the fabric that can.

2. sara says:

Only 35 or so days until Easter…..you can do it!

3. Anne Kasten says:

you are so inspiring!

4. Lu Ann Brown says:

Sent from my iPad

Look at the lovely I was blessed with;). Three spot needed replaced and I found reverse appliqué the best method….so excited to get started quilting this.

Best, LuAnn

PS….taking your advice and washing when finished. It was put together beautifully by hand…hand quilting.

5. katechiconi says:

That’s going to be such a happy looking quilt. What are you thinking of for the border(s)?

6. Candace says:

thank you for sharing the directions! This is gorgeous and makes me think “SpRiNg”

you are welcome!….I hope the directions were clear enough…and if you make one I hope you have a great success! I think I like this one well enough to do one in summer colors, and fall colors and winter colors as well

7. I am always amazed at how much quilting you get done. I finally finished a throw sized one I started last summer!

8. KathyC says:

Tim,
    I love your quilting and I appreciate that you blog so often with so many pictures of your work and of Teddy! Coming here makes my Monday mornings delightful.
    Thanks!

9. Nina Schwerdtfeger says:

Just saw you on quilt along with Pat Sloan. Can tell from your blog that you might be able to help me. I made a quilt in 2006 from a BOM at our local quilt shop. Finished the quilt & blocked it for our quilt guild quilt show. It looked great! When I turned it over one of the greens had stained the backing wherever each block with that green in it! This quilt is machine quilted custom heirloom. I no longer have a place to block the quilt. Would it be fine to have it dry cleaned with spot treated for those places? Your thoughts please?!

10. […] I finished the Easter Stripe Quilt…finished size is 65″ x 78″. I started it Here http://timquilts.com/2014/03/16/strip-piecing-the-pastel-quilt/ […]

Comments