New quilt top finished

I finished the new quilt top today.   The fabrics remind me of spring and Easter and the pattern is based on the traditional Roman Strip block so I am calling this quilt Easter Stripes.

I bought the fabrics at the AQS quilt show in Des Moines last year.  I am glad that I waited until now to start it…I needed to feel like spring!  The Fabric is from

Joy’s Fabric and Quilts Hand Dyed Fabric http://www.joysfbrics.com

I used 20 fat quarters to make this. To see how I made the blocks see yesterdays post. after I finished making the 20 blocks I pieced them together.

easter top done 001

Next I added a 2″ border…using purple fabric (not part of the 20 fat quarters) be careful here…all the edges are on the bias and it is very easy to get it all stretched out of shape.

easter top done 002

then using the leftover strip sets I added a pieced border

easter top done 003

then another wider purple border

easter top done 004

I have enough of the strip sets left to use the pastel fabrics for the binding as well.

I really need to give it a good pressing but I will do that when I am ready to layer it and baste it…..I have a feeling it wont be very long!!

when I finish a top I spend a lot of time looking at it and finding faults….I’m not a perfect machine piecer because I really don’t do it that often, but overall I really like the top.

easter top done 005 easter top done 006

I always have a pile of bits when I finish

easter top done 007

these will go outside in a basket in a few weeks….the birds will find them and use them in nest making….cant wait to see some colorfully nests!

27 thoughts on “New quilt top finished

1. Kathi says:

Love how you showed the progression of the quilt into a full top and the pointers you gave along the way! Thanks :) Love the finish for sure! Nice to give the birds some of your scraps too tiny to use again! Kathi

2. Pam G. says:

Beautiful. Love the purple you added – really shows it off. You’ve motivated me to head to the fabric stash!

I love to have a reason to use up some of the fabric stash…but this project added to it…I had to buy the purple so I now have an extra yard….but Its a good color to add to the stash ;)

3. Ann says:

Love this Easter egg quilt! Thanks for sharing a breath of spring with us.

4. katechiconi says:

I just love those fresh chalky colours, perfect for spring.

5. Definitely spring and Easter colors. The purple borders are perfect complement. I am hoping Joy is at the AQS Gr Rapids show this August. Your machine piecing was fast progress!

I was happy that the purple worked so well…I was afraid it was too dark…but I think it sets the other fabrics off nicely. I plan to be at AQS in GR and hope a few of my quilts will be accepted as well

6. Julie Porter says:

You certainly have flair for choosing colours. The purple looks great. Which quilts are you taking to the show. GR? Sorry Australia so don’t understand abbreviation.

Gr is Grand Rapids Michigan…they Have and AQS show there in the summer….the quilts I will enter are the red and white whole cloth quilt and the all white whole cloth quilt…I hope that the make it into the show

7. Joan says:

Looks like spring. It’s snowing here in MN, so looking at this bright quilt is a treat. Beautiful job!

That is beautiful, Tim. And the birds are going to go wild! Neighbors are going to wonder what kind of bird seed you are putting out.

9. Pam Gardner says:

I really like it Tim-of course purple (and red) are my favorite colors. It is really “spring-like”.

10. Lee says:

Love it, love it, love it! It reminds me of dyed Easter eggs. What were the dimensions when you finished?
    Love the idea of putting scraps out for the birds, too. We’ve had about five generations of sparrows nesting above a stereo speaker under our carport, so they’ll be the happy recipients of some scraps from now on. I’ll tell them it was your idea!

11. Jose says:

What a great idea about putting the small scraps outside for the birds to mke nests with. I will start recycling my scraps too! Thanks for a simple yet brilliant tip.

12. Ann says:

Tim et al: When you put the scraps out, make sure the pieces are short. Sherri Smith, bird rehabilitator in Ann Arbor, reports that they routinely get injured birds (hung by a leg, or a wing or claw) from string, etc that kind hearted people put out. Make the scraps 3″, or less, long.

Thank you Ann…I did not know that….I have been putting scraps out for the birds for a few years but this year I will cut them down

• Ann says:

You are welcome- This topic (string and synthetic materials put out for birds) came up last spring on a birding list serve that I subscribe to. I didn’t know, either, so I thought I’d pass the word along!

I wouldn’t want to cause them any harm….even though quilting fabric (at least mine) are not synthetic…the fabric is 100% cotton… it makes at lot of sense to cut it up anyway! I’m sure they will be happy with the smaller pieces

a side note
        the nests in my yard have always got pieces of garbage in them…bits of plastic bags ar to most common….there are a lot of people in my urban neighborhood who like to litter :(

Comments