Easter Stripe Quilt Started

easter strip quilting start 007

It probably comes as no surprise to anyone that I could not wait to start quilting the Easter Stripe quilt.  Once I got the thread I just had to see what it looked like.

First I had to layer the quilt.  For backing I am using unbleached muslin.  It is 90″ wide so I can use just one piece…no seam.

I tack the backing to the floor using thumb tacks…(masking tape is safer for your floor and also works)

easter strip quilting start 001

Many people have commented that there are better ways to do the basting so you don’t have to be on the floor but I find this method works best for me.  I can get the entire job done in about 30 min.

After the backing pinned down I lay out and smooth the batting.  I am trying Mountain Mist Cream Rose cotton batting.

easter strip quilting start 002

Next I lay down the top and smooth it out…

easter strip quilting start 003

Next I add the safety pins….I used one pin at the intersection of each block and a few more around the border  Very few pins by some peoples standard ( some people will pin every 6″) but I don’t like to use a lot  The layers are held together the backing was very tight and smooth as was the top and batting so I don’t need a million pins, the layers aren’t going to slip apart;

easter strip quilting start 004

Ready to quilt!  I found *3 Perle cotton thread on line

this n that 002

I am using an embroidery needle and the stitches are at about 6 per inch.  I honestly don’t care how many stitches there are per inch…I care how they look.  My goal is for them to be even and neat.  I only count stitches so I can give you and Idea of scale.

easter strip quilting start 005

The quilting is going well.  I like the batting..it is easy to quilt through.

The quilting is going pretty fast.

easter strip quilting start 007 easter strip quilting start 006

The quilting simply follows the piecing..just inside the seam allowances , this way I don’t have to quilt through any seams.

If I stick to it this quilt won’t take very long to finish.

I might get Teddy to help

easter strip quilting start 009

I forgot to mention that I added some quilts for sale to my Etsy store https://www.etsy.com/shop/timquilts

28 thoughts on “Easter Stripe Quilt Started

1. katechiconi says:

Interesting – you don’t seem to be using a hoop or frame? I don’t either when I hand quilt. I stretch it over two knees and one hand, and that seems to be enough. Saves a lot of faffing about taking the hoop off and on, too!

I took it out of the hoop (which is on a stand) for the picture.
      I could never quilt with out a hoop…the hoop holds the quilt because I need both hands free to do the quilting

2. sara says:

You are going to whip this one out in no time! And you can save on the pinning by just adjusting where Teddy sits!

3. Denise Hines says:

Beautiful quilt and quilting! Tim do you use a hoop? If so, what kind?

4. Janine Huisjen says:

Let me know how you like the Cream Rose batting. I used it for several quilts. It worked well for both hand and machine quilting, and I liked the drape, but I gave the quilts away, and have no idea how they have worn through more than one washing. It’s the thinnest batting I’ve used.

I will keep you posted….for some reason I seem to like to try all the battings I see …this is my first time with this one…I usually like a thicker one…but this is such a dream to quilt….I will keep everyone posted after I wash it….and as it gets a few more washings as well

5. Marie says:

Loving this quilt Tim! Thanks for sharing your techniques for basting and quilting! One of the online quilters asked a question why are her quilting stitches are smaller on the back than the front? This happens to me also. Can you provide any insights?

Thanks…..as for the stitches on the back….when the needle is pushed back up into the back and out through the topif the needle is not projecting far enough through the back it will make a much smaller stitch (the farther the needle is puched through the back the larger the stitch)…so to get the stitches on front and back to be the same size the needle needs to go as far in to the backside as it comes out to the top. I hope that makes some sense…its a lot easier to show than it is to describe

6. Mary Blackledge Corroo says:

I love the purple thread! Your stitches are gorgeous. The back will really look nice. This is a really attractive quilt. I can’t get enough of these colors right now. And hi to Teddy!

7. Dorothy says:

I like your way of doing the basting and quilting. Due to eye problems – I do more primitive and/or folk life quilting than trying to increase the stitches to the inch. Thank you for sharing your ideas and thoughts with us.

8. gardnerpam6 says:

This one will be done in no time-it looks as though I might even be able to do one this way. I love it!

9. Pamela says:

Love the colors – definitely makes me wish Spring would just get here. If this goes as quickly as you think, maybe you will be able to bring it to the MMQG presentation in April. I would love to see it in person. Getting the word out for everyone to come hear you speak and see your wonderful quilts.

Thanks!
      I do Hope to have it done by then….If I do I will bring it!
      I hope you have a big turnout …I will post the information about it here next post.

10. Sharon Eshlaman in Galesburg says:

I see the “Inspector” is still keeping you on the straight and narrow. I really love the quilting as I think it sets the quilt off. You are amazing, my friend. Pat on the head to Teddy for me. Thanks for sharing.

11. I’m not convinced teddy’s such a help. With your quilting at least. Saying that, I seem to have nodded off and the quilt is not only together but being quilted too. I am simultaneously jealous and impressed.

12. haleyarden says:

Your Teddy is such a cutie! I’m wondering how much perle cotton thread do you typically use on your big stitch quilts? I’d like to try it soon but It would be hard for me to estimate how much I’ll need when I’ve not done it before.

13. Anna Vaughn says:

Beautiful!

14. Beth G says:

I love the colors in this quilt. I am thinking about trying big stitch quilting which is why I visited your site. I love Teddy being in your pictures. He is adorable.

Comments