Something Old Something New

Today I have something old and something new.

The old is this beautiful quilt top from late 1800′s.

Unfortunately It has suffered a bit of damage.  When in storage (where ever that was) it got attacked by mice.  Mice like to chew holes into fabric.  When folded up the way it was originally stored the holes line up…they chewed through all the layers.  Here are the damaged blocks (click to enlarge)

How do I fix them?  The top is large enough that I can take off one row of blocks and use the fabric from them to repair the damage.  when I am done it should look like new.

There are some beautiful fabrics in this top. Each block has matching white and pink, and a different brown/rust  (click pictures to enlarge)

I will post pictures of the repairs as soon as I get going on it…..It might be a while since I have so many projects going already.

The new is a new top I am making.  I love the old rescue vintage and antique tops but sometimes I do enjoy making something new.

The new one is based on the Roman Stripe Block.

roman stropes

The traditional layout for the roman stripe block is this

roman stripes

But I rarely feel like I can stay totally traditional and follow a pattern.

If you remember back a few weeks I showed some fabrics I was planning to use.

I have to blocks cut and they are ready to be sewn together into a top. Not quite the same as the traditional.

this layout gives me a quilt about 80″ square to which I will add a border.  The bonus for me is that It gives me a lot of room for hand quilting in the orange spaces.

Here are a few more pictures …click pictures to enlarge

I am getting near the end on the basket of Lilies

I will post more pictures of that next time.

For now I need to get back to work!

12 thoughts on “Something Old Something New

1. lorieast says:

Love the big orange fruit salad…it just screams, “Come on, summer!” And you know I love the old top…such a great combo of colors that we would never dream of using today–but look how well it works.

I think we could learn a lot (and I try to see it) from the old quilters…color combinations, quilting designs, etc.
      Im anxious to start on the “fruit Salad” and now that you said that I am going to name the quilt Fruit Salad …thanks

2. What a great idea to use fabric from the original quilt to solve the mouse “holes” issue. It is good to be brave when restoring old tops and I thank you for being so brave!!!

3. Victoria says:

Hi, Tim
    Have you seen another quilt hoop stand like yours, lately? I’ve been looking. I really would love to have one like yours.

4. beachbum17 says:

This 1800′s quilt is stunning! I love using the light beige & pink prints to create the image of a solid.

It really is beautiful isn’t it….the colors used back then were so soothing…calmer than the bold colors and sharper contrasts we see today…I love old fabric!

5. Darlene Reid, Gilbert, Az. 85296 says:

Hi Tim,
    I always love seeing what you are working on and making like new again.
    Regarding your pink and brown quilt and the mouse holes. I use a product called Pellon “ultraweft” fusible woven facing which I fuse behind each hole. It is soft like sewing thru butter. It helps the space just meld into the background. It is easy to quilt through and helps to work into the background. When you’re finished quilting you wash the quilt and you can’t even find the holes and your quilt is made “whole” again.
    Darlene Reid ‘hand quilter at the Gilbert Historical Museum.
    Gilbert, Arizona

I use that sometimes to close up a hole if there is enough fabric remaining to fill it in…but these holes are huge…I need fabric to fill the space, fusable interfacing wont work for thatthe hole woulb je just as visable but with interfacing in it… so I will need to take some of the good blocks apart and make patches

6. Mimi says:

Have to laugh at your something new, would never have thought to place the block in a star pattern with orange setting blocks. It is going to be delightful.

the orange has caused many negative feelings among some readers….But I think it fits, perhaps because it doesn’t photograph well….or because of a fear of bright colors? but I am glad you can appreciate it

Comments