New York Beauty Quilting

I started the quilting on the New York Beauty variation.

This quilt top is beautiful but it is not beautifully made.  The person who made it back in the 30’s did not paper piece it the way a quilter of today would likely do it.  Accuracy in piecing was not what it could be so the overall design is a bit wavy and the “off”.  The result is actually quite pleasing to me.  There is a trend in quilting today for making “liberated” quilts such as this log cabin as seen on craftsy

full_12_935_EleyLiberatedLogCabin

The blocks are all a bit askew and so are the lines in the New York Beauty quilt so we could call this a liberated New York Beauty.

Given the quality of the piecing I didn’t think very fine stitching would work for the quilting.  That is not to say I want to do a messy job of it.  What I want to do is hand quilt it in a way that looks like the quilting and top were done by the same person and of the period.  If I do it right it will not be obvious that it was quilted by a different person many years after the top was made.

I am using a heavier weight thread and large needle so I get larger stitches which I feel fit the top .  6 stitches per inch is about what I am doing.  I am not marking the quilt I am simply quilting it by eye. Here it is so far.

Here are a few more pictures (click to enlarge)

The Quilting shows better on the back in pictures.

So far I really like the way it looks…I still have a way to go but it wont take long

Happy quilting

30 thoughts on “New York Beauty Quilting

1. Kathleen Campbell says:

I really like this NYB. It was a lot of work for the original sewer. I like your rational on quilting style. Yiou are right-on! Will look forward to your completion photos.

2. kay17 says:

I’m always amazed by your quilting. It works perfectly with the style of the top. I’m looking forward to see it finished.

3. Polly Pulver says:

This quilt was quite an undertaking when it was made and I am so glad you are going to finish it in an appropriate way. I have bought and finished many of this type of quilt, they have so much character and I like to think of the maker as I enjoy the quilting process. She (or he) becomes more real when I see the imperfections and the successes in the piecing and the choice of fabrics.
    Polly in CO

4. helen says:

The design you chose is beautiful, Tim! It is in harmony with the quilt and makes it more “regular”. I like the colors of the quilt, eventhough the pattern on some fabrics is rather “wild”, the colors aren’t. Beautiful work as everytime!

5. Your quilting is exactly what this quilt needed. What thread are you using and needle?

I am using antique thread….I bought a huge spool of it at a quilt show from one of the quilt vendors ….the needle is a a large one, but I don’t know the size…it came out of an assorted pack and they aren’t labeled.. i just picked one that felt right

6. I love quilts that don’t look like they were pieced by an expert. It just lends to the charm. Designer fabrics and sewing machines are wonderful, but quilters from previous generations were most often making do with what they had. They made beautiful creations without all the bells and whistles we have available. Your quilting is amazing. I wish this quilt was mine. I think it is gorgeous.

Thanks!….I actually wish it were mine as well, but this one is being quilted for a collector of the New York Beauty pattern….it will join a very impressive collection of quilts spanning the years from 1850 to the present….I think it will be right at home there

7. Looking great, Tim! Have fun. :)

8. Janice says:

Yep, the NYB certainly i a bit wonky. But your quilting is just exactly the right thing for it. It looks wonderful!

9. Sharon Eshlaman in Galesburg says:

Beautiful – and your quilting will only enhance the beauty of it. Hi to Teddy :-)

10. Julie Porter says:

I really like the quilting looking more handmade than you would normally do. This is why I love hand quilting because it is not perfect, not modern massed produced, nor highly technical. It is more soulful. I have a handmade quilt hanging on my wall from a village in Rajasthan. The fabric is hand woven and dyed and many squares noticeably made by different women, with different stitch lengths. It reminds me that asymmetry and imperfection can be more beautiful.

11. audrey says:

A liberated New York Beauty–Perfect! Your quilting is complimenting the quilt wonderfully.:)

12. Jill says:

In total agreement in having the quilt to look like it was made by one person from its own time period. I love the maker’s fabric choices.

13. cherpetersen@aol.com says:

are you able to verify the age of a quilt?

the only way to tell is from the fabrics….which all look like 30’s fabrics in this quilt, based on known dated samples…a few are much earlier than that but the date of a quilt can only be as later as the newest fabric…some of the fabrics in this quilt are 1900, but the later fabrics are 30’s so the quilt is 30’s.

• Will have to take another look at it when it’s done. I thought there could be a range of fabrics, as late as the 50s and 60s – some of those paisleys and florals. Very likely a time-span stash, and now it will be a time-span quilt. There’s something so great about that!

they could be later, Im not sure, they feel like 30’s or 40’s and its had to describe but fabric has a feel, and these feel that age….but some do look like they could be 50’s +

14. Prairie Quilter/Nebraska says:

I’m constantly amazed at how you can take really wonky quilts that are by no means flat in any way, shape or form and end up with a beautifully quilted piece. I’m learning a lot.

And clearly I need to get over my aversion to quilting through seam allowances. :) Thanks for sharing your tips and tricks for those of us less imaginative and less brave souls.

Comments