New York Beauty 2

I have a second vintage New York Beauty quilt top to hand quilt.  It also belongs to Bill Volckening and it is great.

The New York Beauty pattern has existed since the mid 1800’s with many different names along the way.  I won’t get into the evolution of the pattern/names (I’m waiting for the book….Bill is writing it now) but I feel confident that this one was made from the Mountain Mist /Sterns and Foster pattern.  These patterns were printed on the wrapper of Mountain Mist quilt batting.

NYB-Mountain mist

Here is a quilt that has been documented to be made in 1932 using the Mountain Mist pattern.

NYB-1932

The only difference in this top is the fabric choices….scrappy rather than solids.

Much of the piecing is beautifully done….the problem is the white pieces.  They were cut so that the long outside edge is on the bias and this caused distortion as the pieces were stitched together.  I did a post a while back about fixing that bias problem http://timquilts.com/2014/04/05/a-fix-for-the-bias-bulge/.  This quilt will need more than that simple fix.  I think I will end up taking out all the white pieces on the outside edges and replacing them….I happen to have a large piece of vintage muslin that will be a perfect match.   In the pictures you can see how off it is.  (click pictures to enlarge)

I won’t decide on a hand quilting pattern until I have worked on it for a while…it will tell me what to do.

It might be a few days before I get to work on it because I need to think before I cut ;)

20 thoughts on “New York Beauty 2

Good plan, think twice, cut once. Wonderful quilt, that should be a winner when it’s all done. At this rate Bill might have you working for him full time and then you will have to put all of your ebay quilts back on ebay at a much lower price so others can grab them up! I thought twice on that idea! :)

LOL!…I actually might sell a few of them I have so many and my taste changes over time…some I don’t like as much now as when I bought them

2. I don’t know why but I like this one so much more than the last one. I am looking forward to see what you do with it.

this one is much more controlled….uniform…by the pattern than the last one. Im torn as to which I prefer…I guess I need to quilt this one before I decide :)

• I have thought about it and there are two reasons this is better, one is the craftsperson was more skilled, and the fabrics are just so girly!

3. sandy styve says:

i love your hand quilting and I’m wondering do you hand stitch the pieces together?? I love to sit and sew pieces together or hand quilt them as I watch TV.. i hope you can reply and I thank you ….”’

4. tdspringer says:

LOL, Sara stole my post…..Oh well, great minds….Can’t wait to see what you do with this one!

5. Judi Fibush says:

Tim,

That is really out of linement. Good luck. I do lots of restoration and finsihing of anitque blocks and tops and some can be real horrors to get right but still lots of fun as far as I am concerned.

Judi

fun for me!…I like a challenge and love the thought of finishing up a quilt that someone toiled over and didn’t have the time of skill to finish….sort of a tribute to their efforts

6. Chrisanna says:

Hi Tim, it will be fun to see how you choose to go with this one. I’m really enjoying your posts about this pattern and your work on the tops…Have a great day and hi to Teddy.

7. katechiconi says:

Good Lord, that’s quite extreme, isn’t it? Probably explains why it was never finished… But that Beauty’s a beauty, isn’t it.

I think many quilts get to that point and the maker knows that it isn’t working but isn’t sure what to do about it and packs it away thinking that someday it will get fixed…..I love to be able to do the fixing almost as much as the quilting

8. Barbara Wellman says:

I don’t know if I’ve seen as pleasing version of this in scrappy. I am looking forward to the book too now. I’ve been I love with New York Beauties for a long time.

9. helen says:

OMG, this needs courage! I fear that when you start taking it apart you will be going further and turther and won’t be able to stop!
    But I like the colours and design!

10. […] I have been working on re-making the New York Beauty top that I posted about earlier (see post here http://timquilts.com/2014/05/08/new-york-beauty-2/) […]

Comments