Fabric stash grows

Recently my good friend Yvonne had to move to an assisted living apartment.  It is sad that she had to move away from her home but she just wasn’t able to get around on her own anymore.  I am very happy that she found a great place where she has all the physical help she needs.  Unfortunately she didn’t have to room to move all of her fabric with her so she gave it to me.

Many of the fabrics she had carefully coordinated  in bunches ready to make a quilt. Each piece is 1/2 yard and they are in groups of 20

DSCN1819 DSCN1818

She also gave me some tools, templates, foundation paper etc. that she had never used.

DSCN1817 DSCN1816 DSCN1815

I will be making a quilt for her soon.

I did get some gardening done over the weekend  and a bit more hand quilting done on the orange quilt.  I started in the center and quilted a lot of straight lines….when I got to the orange it felt like it needed circles….It didn’t feel like anything too fancy would fit …  here it is so far….click pictures to enlarge.

19 thoughts on “Fabric stash grows

aHAH! It’s not just the quilt tops that pop themselves in the mail to Lansing — it’s all the quilt pieces in the vicinity that are flocking to Tim! It’s wonderful that when Yvonne needed to make the move, her quilting supplies had a loving home to move to as well. I’m sure she can take pleasure in supporting your art and that she will benefit from her own generosity when you make her a wonderful quilt.

it will be fun going through all the fabric and picking one to do for her….I know she spent hours picking out those groups of fabrics and I hate to break them up so it will be one of the pre selected groups

2. Susie says:

Wow! What a generous friend you have! I can’t wait to see what you create for her and yourself from all the goodies! And the orange one….I think maybe you could quilt it in the dark! Lol!

3. katechiconi says:

Gosh, what a bonanza of fabrics to land in your lap! Although the selection is more traditional than my taste, there are some beauties in there.

they are pretty traditional….but they do represent Vyonne very well…..but I might do a non-traditional design with them…I know I wont use a commercial pattern….it will be something I make up…..She was a member of wildflower society and garden club and a generous donor to the Horticulture gardens and landscape arboretum so I think a design that looks flower and garden

4. Miriam says:

All the best to Yvonne in her new home. Its great that her fabric and tools etc have gone to someone who will make great use of them.

5. KerryCan says:

Yvonne will love seeing what you do with her stash, I’m sure! And so will we!

6. Donna K says:

I have to agree with the post above mine that Yvonne will love to see what you do with her fabrics.

I love all your quilts but I have to admit that I was on the fence about your Fruit Salad quilt. That was until you quilted the circles in the orange areas. Brilliant!
    That circle quilting in the orange makes it shine.
    Of course, you as the designer, already had that in your minds eye as to what you were going to do. It just takes awhile for the rest of us to catch up with you. Thanks for posting. I love to read your blog.

Thanks Donna! I am glad you like the circles….I have to admit that I had to get half way done with the big circle before I decided that I did the right thing…when it was just a few arcs it looked a bit strange :)

7. Wendy Caton Reed says:

Fantastic! I have just one question, when do you sleep? People say I get a lot of hand quilting done despite the fact that I work full time, but you are amazing! I love the fact that you rescue tops and continue the life of the maker.

8. karen says:

always sad when a friend or family member has to make that move to assisted living but it is so nice that she gave her stash to you. If you have time make sure to visit her! my mom is in assisted living and once that move is made they normally regret giving up their independence and are unhappy

fortunately she really likes it….she has lots of people to visit with every day and she really enjoys going down to the dining room for meals and activities….

• karen says:

that is great – she sounds very different than my mother who is an introvert and depends on her family for visit – she doesn’t make friends and doesn’t want to do any of the activities – she goes to the dining room only because she can of course no longer cook her own meals.

Sorry your mom Isn’t liking it….I’m hopeful that she will get accustomed to it. It must be hard for you (and her)

Comments