Finished!

DSCN2036

I finally finished hand quilting the “Fruit Salad” quilt.  I posted about it here http://timquilts.com/2014/04/12/fruit-salad/

and I started hand quilting it on May 7 http://timquilts.com/2014/05/07/quilting-begins-on-the-fruit-salad/

It is pretty simple quilting but with such busy fabric I thought simple was the way to go.  I used #12 perle cotton thread (300 yards is all it took) and a size 5 embroidery needle for the quilting.  The batting is a new one for me…Quilter’s Dream Green  http://www.quiltersdreambatting.com/dream-green.htm.  It is made of recycled plastic bottles and is actually very easy to work with.  The backing is fabric from the same line as the strips, Farmer’s Marker by RJR

Here are some more pictures (click pictures to enlarge)

Now I have this  one back in the hoop

I need to have a hand quilting project all the time but I am working on re-working this top at the same time (pictures of that soon)

18 thoughts on “Finished!

1. katechiconi says:

Lovely quilting, it looks like slices of orange!

2. Connie Johnson says:

Love the circular quilting…just right . Sets off the angularity of the rest of the quilt . Beautiful job.

Very nice! Fits in nicely with the yard! The tulip one will be done in just a couple of days, right? Then on to another!

4. Pat Long says:

OMG, fruit salad is yummy!

5. Sherrill says:

First time commenter, daily reader–I must admit that I was not a believer when you made this quilt, but have been converted. The hand quilting makes all the difference. The perfect informal picnic quilt.

6. Victoria says:

Bravo!! That really came out gorgeous! It is yummy looking! Looks like a orange slices! You are so inspiring to me I’ve started a couple of quilts so I could hurry up and use your safety pin sandwiching of the quilt for quilting AND to use the same quilt frame you use!!

7. Theresa says:

interested to see how you rework that distorted NYB top. I have a couple of lone star tops and am doing my own recovery process. finally have decided to create darts widening toward the center, but I’m a little afraid to go ahead with it, so for now it’s pin basted.

8. Sandra B says:

I love this quilt! And the quilting really compliments the pattern!
    By the way, I recently used the Quilters Dream Green for the first time myself…will definitely use it again…
    Just recently discovered your blog….thanks for all the inspiration your projects provide!!

Thank you! I had a lot of fun making this one….a little out of the box for me! I loved the green batting…I think I will use it again as well…and it is a lot less expensive too!!

9. Debra Gutenson says:

Tim, I must admit that I wasn’t thrilled with your choice of organge setting blocks. But now seeing it quilted, I’m convinced. You’re a master with color. I love it!

Thanks! I took pictures outside today so the colors would ne more true….and I think that helps. I have a green one all set to piece….it looks so different than the orange…

Comments