Something New and Old

DSCN2047 (2)

In April I took a class with Gwen Marston. (here is the post about that) It was about making liberated baskets.   I have had my pile of fabrics and blocks packed in a bag since then….and in the last few days I can hear them call me.  I let them out of the bag for some air today and I am waiting for them to tell me what they want to be.

DSCN2046 DSCN2045

I think I will use these blocks as the center and then do some pieced blocks around the edges I am still in the “thinking about it stage” and changing my mind every few minutes but I will post some pictures when I get going on it.

So that is the something new, and here is the something new to me.

DSCN2047

Late 1800’s Chimney Sweep quilt top.   There are some condition problems.   The border is shot so that will have to come off.  The brown fabric is disintegrating  and there are a few holes in it and some age spotting but the fabrics are great!  I love that old purple/mauve ….and the orangey butterscotch.

Here are shots of all the fabrics (click pictures to enlarge)

It wont be too much work to fix the flaws….as it is it is still beautiful and I love looking at all the fabrics….this one reminds me of a group  paramecium.

DSCN2064Paramecium_Anatomy.svg

or wooly bear caterpillars

800px-IC_Pyrrharctia_isabella_caterpillar

Either way Teddy approves

DSCN2075

10 thoughts on “Something New and Old

1. carla bynum says:

Hi Tim!!!! I can’t wait to see what you do with both of them!!!! Teddy sure is a smart dog!!!!

Thanks!
      I am really excited about the chimney sweep top….I cant wait to get to that! But I am also working on several others…and I need to find the perfect backing fabric for it…and some replacement for the border…so It will wait…..the baskets are a challenge and I hope to have it worked out by the end of tonight….my mind is racing
      Teddy took a lot of extra time sniffing the antique….he really wanted to be sure it was ok :)

I love those baskets!!! And your Chimney Sweep quilt will be very nice when you are done with it!
    But the paramecium grossed me out! :)

3. Linda says:

Love your top! l also bought one recently in good condition. Still debating whether to have it quilted or not. As l don’t hand quilt myself, it would probably be machine quilted.

4. audrey says:

Your baskets are wonderful! They look really fun to do. And that Chimney Sweep quilt is fabulous–those colors!!

5. Karen Myers says:

I followed that top (chimney sweep) on ebay and wondered what the buyer would do about that sadly deteriorated border. So nice that you got it, now it will be well quilted. I wanted to bid but already have several tops to quilt. The seller has a fantastic eye for interesting quilts with great old fabrics.

She is great at finding gems….until this one they were all out of my price range….but in some ways I like imperfect better…I feel more involved in it when it needs a lot of work. It might be a while before I get to it, but I will post all about it when I do

6. […] Back In April I started a liberated basket quilt. see that post here http://timquilts.com/2014/05/27/something-new-and-old/ […]

Comments