Quilt tops and garden

Front Yard

I finished my liberated basket quilt top last night and the weather this morning was so beautiful that I decided to take a few pictures of it outside.  The colors always seem to be better in the sunlight.

DSCN2124 DSCN2123 DSCN2122 DSCN2121

I will hand quilt it (hopefully this year LOL)

I also had a few more vintage tops to photograph

DSCN2119 DSCN2118

And here is the garden update  (click pictures to enlarge)

Happy Quilting, Happy Gardening, Happy June

22 thoughts on “Quilt tops and garden

Looks like “Everything’s Coming Up Roses” at your place! Beautiful yard! And the basket quilt is wonderful!

2. Cinzia says:

Love your quilt and garden!

3. Debbie says:

The liberated basket quilt is just amazing. Your garden is so beautiful. It looks like a lovely relaxing place.

4. Louise says:

Your home and gardens/flowers are beautiful.
    Really like the basket quilt!

5. audrey says:

Your garden is so lovely! You obviously spend a lot of time taking good care of it. Love the basket quilt. Very fun quilt top for you.:)

6. Carolanne says:

You have inspired me to continue with a quilt, I had been inspired by the wonky stars of Gwen Mrston. I got a bit bogged down in trying to control colours and match squares. I feel a bit more ‘liberated’ after seeing your quilt. I don’t think I have not enough colour/shade contrasts. I am using my son’s shirts and will have to prompt him to ‘liberate’ his shirt palette.

That was the hardest part for me….I tend to want things to line up and match and be even….it took some effort to be liberated… I love the idea of using shirts!

7. Tamie says:

What an incredible garden you have. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

8. Pat Long says:

Wow on both the quilts and the garden! Where I live gardening is done in pots or desert plants.

That would be hard for me….desert plants are beautiful…but I love my cottage garden….Its a trade off I guess because the winters are really rotten!

9. llcronise@cox.net says:

Hi Tim, I am one of your many followers. I just love your quilts ! I am interested in whole cloth quilting and have had several drawn for me, which is o.k. but now I am really interested in the Durham quilts of North County, England. There is a very interesting lady named Lilian Hedley who teaches but it is too far for me to travel and too costly. She teaches how to draw the pattern as well as how to quilt it. She has a you tube video on how to draw the feathers. It is so amazing. Her quilts are just beautiful. She will be teaching at the Royal Bridlington in East Yorkshire in October if you want to check it out and see some of her quilts. I have several questions for you if you can help me. 1. Who would teach that type of technique (the actual drawing) in the USA? 2. Where would I find paper large enough to draw on ? 3. Could I just use stencils or how would I go about getting a pattern to use? I remember you saying you put yours on a wall with on overhead and drew from there but I have to be able to have a pattern to go by. I have given this a lot of thought and you are the only one who I could think of who may be able to assist me with this. If you can check this out and let me know I would be very grateful. I live in VA so I am a distance away from England !! Thank you for your help. Linda

Lilian is a great quilter and teacher! (and a facebook friend of mine)…I love her work. I am no expert on he Durham quilts of North County England but I know Lilian is…she has a few books that might help http://lilian-hedley-quilter.com/page5.htm I know a few quilters who have purchased her books. I don’t personally know anyone in the US who teaches this. so I am afraid I am not a big help there, but if you want to make an authentic Durham I would get one of her books

10. NikkiM says:

The front yard looks amazing!

11. gardnerpam6 says:

oh Tim-that basket quilt is my very favorite of all-it speaks to me! Your gardens are looking lovely.

thanks!…I really had my doubts about the baskets…but the more I worked on the the more I liked it…rain today so the garden is getting a nice drink

Comments