Hand Quilting and More Garden Pictures

header

I started hand quilting the liberated baskets quilt top  here is the top before quilting.

I used Mountain Mist Cream Rose batting and unbleached muslin for the backing.

The top is very linear with the exception of the basket handles so I thought the quilting should contrast with that.  I am quilting circles in a free form design.  I am not marking the circles I am doing it by eye.  I didn’t want them to be perfectly measured and even because that is not in keeping with the free form piecing in the top.

I am using 12 weight Aurifil thread and a size 5 embroidery needle for the quilting.

Here are some pictures …I took these in the house at night so the colors aren’t so good but you can get the idea.

DSCN2143 DSCN2142 DSCN2140 DSCN2139

It goes pretty fast so I hope to be done in a few weeks.  I have so many other projects that i am working on that I told myself I would wait to quilt this one……but I couldn’t resist.

Meanwhile the garden continues to develop more every day!  Here are a bunch more pictures (click pictures to enlarge)

The weeds grow as fast as the flowers so I need to get to work

Happy Gardening and Happy Quilting

14 thoughts on “Hand Quilting and More Garden Pictures

1. Tim, How do u get such beautiful circles? Have finally had a class for hand quilting, got my hoop, read the book u suggested. Ready to start my first project.

I just use the edge of the hoop as a guide….I don’t think I could make a circle without marking if I was not quilting in a hoop
      Good luck with your first project!! remember to take your time and enjoy…my first quilt took me several months!

It’s a good thing that most quilters don’t listen to themselves when working on projects as to whether or not they have to get one done before starting something else, as that is where the fun begins! Plus, when you start to finish several projects all at once then the real party starts!!

3. Cindy Nelson says:

Your hands work miracles in the garden as well? Do you teach locally how to hand quilt? Blessed talents, Cindy

Thanks!
      I do not teach hand quilting….I might some day….it is difficult to teach because i am left handed and it is hard for me to translate my method to right handed….I do some gardening classes occasionally

4. katechiconi says:

Your garden is looking splendid – you can literally go to your happy place, can’t you? And that baskets quilt is looking gorgeous, great call on using circles.

5. Celia says:

Each time I read your blog, it is pure inspiration on every level, and just makes me smile when I see Teddy. Your garden is just lovely. And, of course, your quilting is wonderful. Always leaves me with a happy feeling after visiting via your blog. Thank you for the photos of your garden, and the quilting projects you are working on.

6. Kay Pungitore says:

Love your basket quilt!! The quilting is great!! I wish I had more time to quilt.

7. Helen Beall says:

Just discovered your blog. I love that you hand quilt in circles and use unbleached muslin on the back!

Your flower photos are wonderful. My Siberian iris was especially beautiful this year…after a cruel winter. The rhododendron and chives also outdid themselves, and my columbine is coming up everywhere. Keep posting….

Glad you discovered it!…..thanks
      it was a particularly cruel winter but the garden keeps on going…Enjoy your garden!…I will post more of mine soon
      Thanks again