New York Beauty Re-Make

I have been working on re-making the New York Beauty top that I posted about earlier (see post here http://timquilts.com/2014/05/08/new-york-beauty-2/)

It had some real problems
DSCN1784 DSCN1783

I originally thought I would need to replace all the white pieces in order to make it flat but I finally figured it out without the need to do that.

The biggest problem were all the pieces around the edges.  They were all cut on the bias and stretched considerably.  I took off the corners and pressed the center section

DSCN2252 (3)

Some of the seams will need to be re-sewn taking a tuck along the edge (where I have it pinned) to take up some extra fullness.

After I get that sewn I will cut out the extra from the back.

Next I had to deal with the corners so I took out the sashing pieces and pressed the triangles and found out how off they really were

I cut off the excess on the sides and then straightened up the bottom edge of all 8 of them

Now the pieces are ready to use,  but they are still bias cut and likely to stretch out of shape.  I solved that problem by adding a narrow strip of fusible web to the bottom edge.

It will not show in the finished quilt but it will keep those edges from stretching until i get them quilted in place.

Next I sewed the sashing back in and found another reason that it was so “bumpy”  The sashing strips were way off.  a few inches longer than they should be.

They will be cut to size and the four corners attached….and then after a final pressing It will be ready to quilt

I might add a yellow border to further stabilize the edges.
Next to decide how to hand quilt it!

52 thoughts on “New York Beauty Re-Make

Amazing fix it job and I love that quilt, can’t wait to see what you do with it.

2. Rose says:

Amazing work! Love this quilt. Can’t wait to see it quilted. I’m hoping to start a big stitch quilt project this coming week. I have been inspired by your big stitch quilting.

Ah that especially beautiful New York Beauty with that Yves Klein blue and perfectly complementary butter yellow. Andrew and I think it should visit New York. ;-)

4. you are so friggin’ brilliant, it just kills me (and thank you!)

5. Tamie says:

What a beauty and what a wonderful job you are doing to save this piece of history.

6. Karen says:

What a wonderful quilt you are restoring

the colors really make it special….I love the blue and yellow….and the little triangles are only 3/4″ at the base….it had to take forever to make

7. katechiconi says:

Just goes to show how much we all need our rulers and straight edges when we make quilts. A little wonkiness adds character, but too much can make a quilt unquiltable. Nice work!

8. Beauty, indeed! What a good soul you are to resurrect this top to its intended glory! It’s a stunner of a quilt, and I look forward to seeing it finished. Thanks for sharing it with us!

9. Nicole says:

Better the pieces too long than too short – you can salvage it so beautifully. When you resew pieces, are you doing that by hand or machine?

10. Sometimes you just do need to take it back to Square One and redo it! Such skill and patience you’re devoting to it! It will be a masterpiece when it’s all done.

11. Sue watters says:

Well theirs perseverance for you. Most of us wouldn’t have even tried to sort it out and commend you. I shall look forward to seeing it quilted.

12. cmosey says:

Can’t wait to see this one… it’s a beauty!

13. KerryCan says:

This is one of my favorites that you’ve worked on and I’m getting a lot of insight and ideas from your explanations!

14. Jenny M says:

I am totally amazed at the lengths you have gone to to repair this quilt! I don’t think I would be brave enough to start taking the quilt apart and certainly too worried to start cutting some of it down. Thank you for sharing the process with us.

15. Tim this is gorgeous. Simply gorgeous. I’d also starch the heck out of it to help tame that bias. If the bias stretches later the quilt can be pinned to an ironing board, using a ruler to get the correct length, and steam it like crazy. Once that section of the quilt is cool move on to the next. A lot of work I know but worth it in the end

16. Pam G. says:

Tim – you work such miracles! This is going to be beautiful.

17. Theresa says:

Tim, I’ve acquired several Lone Star type tops over the years, and have learned that if I spray starch the top while it’s on the design wall I can finger press it into shape, then pin where new stitching needs to happen, as well as stabilize those inevitable outside bias edges until I can do something with them. Do you ever use spray starch?

18. Pat Long says:

Your work is beautiful as usual!

19. Pat says:

Beautiful work so far. Are you going to have to also take off and shorten the sashing sections around the square part of the quilt? Looks like some of them are also too long, especially the upper right side. You are encouraging me to tackle some vintage tops I have!

I am going to leave those on and make them fit wit a few tucks in the seam allowance ….and a lot of steam pressing and spray starch will make them behave :)

20. Linda Perry says:

after my grandmother passed away I received several of her UFOs- one was a red and white New York beauty that obviously was not going to go together. Unreliable rulers, cardboard templates, bad lighting and raising a big family must have made it seem like more than she wanted to completely redo. I have cut the pieces up and made embroidered/ crazy quilt Christmas stockings for my family, so now 75 years later it is getting a makeover also. Love what you are doing to all those quilts.

21. sweetfe says:

Amazing fixes! The top is beautiful and the quilt is going to be gorgeous! You are a true inspiration.

22. I have neither the talent nor enough years left to take the wonkiness out of all the tops I would love to quilt! (Furthermore, I don’t have the quilting ability either.) But you make me dream anyway, Tim!!!

23. Susan says:

By showing us the different steps you did in the “fixing” of this quilt, we will be better quilters the first time we put challenging quilts together. I thank you.

24. sewfrench says:

Spectacular, as always, Tim.
    I just have to say, I so appreciate you taking the time to explain what you do, how and why you do it. That takes so much time and energy to put down in words and blog about. I know and appreciate it.
    What a treasure to get to work on, too! :)

Thanks! I appreciate that!!….I am really glad to be working on it….and as I sit here stitching away Im thinking about making one for myself….I just love the colors

Comments