Ready to start quilting

DSCN2252 (3)

I finished the New York Beauty top and I am ready to start quilting (see yesterdays post for details on the flattening operation)

I won’t tell the final decision on the hand quilting design yet…  Here are a few of the Ideas I had…

but the decision has been made and I will post progress pictures soon.

I have more garden pictures ….click pictures to enlarge

Happy Sunday

Quilt progress next time

Happy quillting

26 thoughts on “Ready to start quilting

1. Sharon in Galesburg says:

and it is a beauty! Hi to Teddy, please.

2. Pam G says:

Love following all your hard work (both quilts & garden). It’s so motivating. Beautiful job – as always! It’s “stay inside” weather here in sunny Arizona, so hope to make some progress on all my projects.

Thanks!….I can imagine that many days in the summer are stay inside days in AZ! I love MI summers but I think AZ might be nice for me in the winter!!…hope you enjoy your projects!

3. Looks great, love the border, any of the designs would be great but I trust your judgment. Have fun! Can’t wait to see the progress.

4. Debbie says:

Fantastic job. Genius.

5. Deb says:

Can’t wait to see what you decided on!! Lovely top!

6. Susan says:

Your roses are in high bloom!!! and delightful. The yellow border on the quilt certainly sets the design off, well done!

Thanks!
      The roses sure had a hard winter…I lost a few and had to cut several of them way back….but the are recovering and blooming beautifully….I hope for a mild winter so next year they will be spectacular

7. Heather Macmillan Griffin says:

Hello Tim: I enjoy your site tremendously! I don’t know how you and Teddy manage to do all that you do! :) You have given hand quilting a fresh revival! Thank you for not being too serious about marking, or using that blue marker (I use it too, so far it has all the qualities I look for and need when I quilt) – or for not being afraid to throw those quilts in the machine on gentle – I do that quite often too. I enjoy watching your redo’s of quilts you get online. I signed up for your blog a few years ago now, as I am a hand quilting snob! I was looking to find other people who also love the process of hand quilting. Machine quilting is lovely in its own right, but there just isn’t “that look” that we get with hand quilting, is there?? I am the world’s SLOWEST hand quilter, but, I don’t worry about it. It isn’t the number I get quilted, but more the process of enjoying the journey. Those I have finished I am excited when I see them being used by the recipients!! I use my machine for some piecing and/or sewing, for sure. But a whole cloth quilt just speaks when it is all hand quilted!

I also have a garden and very much enjoy watching your garden’s progress through your blog! I notice you have a Colette Rose. During a renovation, I unfortunately lost a rose plant that I just loved the colour and fragrance of and was reminded of it with your blog entry today… I entered the name “Colette Rose” on the internet and went to a rose provider’s site apparently here in Canada but it doesn’t recognize the name as being something they have in their directory. Could I trouble you for any name or breeder information regarding tracking one down here in Canada?? I realize that maybe our zones are too different for it to survive, but, it looks so much like it, I hope to find one here!

I can’t wait to see your quilting design choice the New York Beauty top…..

Many thanks for providing (too) many lovely hours spent admiring your quilts and your garden!!

My absolute favourite quilt of yours is The Whole Thing – it is stunning!!! Congrats on The Tree of Life – beautiful workmanship!! There are too many others to pick favourites!!

I will look forward to any details you may be able to provide re the Colette Rose… Isn’t it nice that we are now in better weather and able to get outside once again. We had that nasty ice storm you did – your photos of your tree with the iced berries looked very familiar!

Thanks for any info, Tim!

Heather

Hi Heather…thanks for all the kind words! it is great to hear form another hand quilter!!
      Colette is my very favorite rose. I bought it a number of years ago at a rose business here in MI but she moved to Thailand for retirement so the business is no more. I have seen them occasionally in catalogs but I can’t remember which…the problem is that they have listed it as US hardiness zone 7 ….I live in zone 5 and I have not lost it yet….last year it was such a show in the early summer!! I will have it cut it back this year. I had it trained as a climber but we had a particularly hard winter so I need to cut out some dead parts, but wanted to wait until its first flush of bloom is done, for me its first bloom of the season is spectacular, the plant is just covered with blooms. I looked it up and here is one of the places that sells it http://www.heirloomroses.com/roses/climbing-roses/colette.html
      I hope that helps!
      Keep on quilting!!

Stunning, Tim — I’m so glad you found the right yellow, and….good luck on that blue (but it’s just the binding, so you won’t need an exact RGB match.

Sympathy on the roses. We lost large sections of our historically hardy roses this winter too.

Thanks….I have time to shop on the blue ….afraid to order on line because it is so hard to tell….so I guess another trip to the quilt store…where I spend way to much!!!
      The roses were covered in Ice on Christmas eve and it was so cold for so long that the ice never melted until about mid Feb….I guess that was too much for them….the marginal hardiness were the ones that I lost…and the Giant new dawn climber had to be cut down to almost the ground, Seven sisters climber that was huge is now very short…lost about 15 feet of it…oh well they will grow again
      Sorry you lost yours as well….I guess it was a bad winter all around

• Kristen says:

Yes, I feel for you and your roses — it was just such a tough winter all around.

I showed Andrew the top and he commented that a yellow and blue quilt would be just the thing for our master bedroom, so I guess this is an excuse for me to troll the eBay quilt top market!

Its always fun to look!….I need to learn to just look…and not buy

9. glenda says:

would you show more of your ‘design book’ please?

I just got that book a few weeks ago….and the pictures I posted are all there is so far….prior to that I used scrap paper and never kept it after the project was done…..But I will when I have a new entry to show

10. Carolyn Black says:

Oooh! I love that feather design for the open space.

11. roseermis says:

Great yellow color for the border. I’m impressed with the beautiful peonies. Having fun following your progress.

12. Victoria says:

Hi, Tim the “Quilt Doctor” because you know how to “fix up” quilts as good as new :)

Question: Is your quilt hoop stand cherry or oak?

Comments