Vintage quiilt top…needs some TLC

I presented my Lecture/trunk show last night at the Black Swamp Quilt Guild in Bowling Green Ohio last night.  What a great group!!  Thanks to everyone in the guild for such a great reception!!

This top is one that I showed at the meeting.

The Pattern is a simple one (although not simple to piece)  just 2 pieces, a square and an elongated hexagon.   There are a lot of names for the pattern…..Five Crosses, Lattice Block, Church Windows, Ogden Corners, Kansas Dugout, Old Fashioned Quilt, Ozark Tile Pattern..to name a few.  So what should I call it?    I have absolutely no idea what the maker of the top called it or which pattern was used, or if she drafted it herself based on one she saw.  I can’t pretend to know  but since people like to assign names to things I will use the one that I think most people are familiar with…”Kansas Dugout”.   If I use that name this is the piecing that comes to mind for most people so it does the job.

It is so interesting to me how the piecing was done.   All the hexagon pieces were sewn together first and then the squares were set in.  You can see that the maker set in all the orange squares and then either ran out of orange, or ran out of time. (the brown you see is the floor…there is no brown fabric just empty space)

DSCN2404 DSCN2403 DSCN2402

It looks really funny when you hold it up….in pictures you see the floor through the holes and it doesn’t show the holes nearly as much.

it has some interesting fabrics

DSCN2401 DSCN2400 DSCN2399 DSCN2398 DSCN2397 DSCN2396

And Teddy likes it

I will never be able to get an exact match for that orange…..I can come close but it wont ever be perfect so I plan to use a different color for all the remaining squares,   I think red will work well.

I have a top in this pattern  from the same era where all the hexagons are different fabrics and all the squares are red

2010_06134-27-11-tops0009-c2010_06134-27-11-tops0009

I love old quilt tops…

Now for a garden update

Happy Gardening and quilting!

12 thoughts on “Vintage quiilt top…needs some TLC

1. Cathi says:

What a fabulous quilt top – it is so intriguing! Makes me almost want to do something like that in miniature! Almost. I am really going to look forward to seeing how you fix this one up.

It really is an interesting quilt, I would never have guessed that anyone would piece it this way….but it seems like it worked fine, at any rate I will need to give my hand piecing skills a work out to finish it…does inklingo have this one?

2. ginaquilts says:

Tim, I like the brown! I thought that was fabric and couldn’t figure out what you were saying until I saw the close ups. If you decide against red (my fav color), audition some brown and see what you think. :-)

it does look like he floor is part of the quilt…..maybe I should look for some brown wood grain fabric ….the fun thing with this is that I just have to lay the top over a fabric and I can easily see what it will look like finished :)

3. Barbara wells says:

I also thought that the final rows were brown, and I loved it for the final borders.

I want it to be bright ….you hardly ever saw brown in a quilt of this era……Brown is more 1880 than 1940…Blue is the complimentary color to orange….that might be fun….but it does look good with brown……will have to see how I feel when I get ready to fix it

4. Cindy Huffman says:

Thanks for coming, Tim! It was an absolute delight to meet you and see all of your fabulous quilts up close and personal.

5. audrey says:

Amazing quilt tops! Love the first one especially, with those bright pops of orange. Looks like your flowers are doing well right now too.:)

Now THAT is a really interesting top — some real imagination, thought and application (as far as the piecer got) and an eye better than the average bear. Very striking.

Comments