Toothbrush Rug

I made a T-Shirt quilt for my friend Yvonne.  She is a donor to the MSU horticulture Gardens, and is a long time horticulture fan, and Is the Donor of the Native Plant garden at The MSU Arboretum.

Each year since the dedication of the gardens in 1993 we have Garden Day.  It is a day to attend gardening seminars and lectures and enjoy the gardens.   The staff and speakers are given T-shirts to wear that day and they are also for sale to the attendees.  So this quilt has 20 shirts , one from each year.    The quilt is nothing fancy but it contains a lot of memories.

This left me with a lot of T-shirt fabric so I decided to use it up in a toothbrush rug (called a toothbrush rug because the needle is made with a toothbrush handle)

I just started it but it goes pretty fast.

I have been making these for years.   Teddy’s chair is covered with one I made.

and I have one draped over the couch. Here is Teddy about 5 years ago with that rug.

2009_0823teddy0006

I found a good tutorial for making them here http://ragrugcafe.com/toothbrush-rugs-complete-video-instructions-part-1-beginners

This is the first time I have made one with knit fabric and it is different.   I am having to adjust myself to the fact that the fabric stretches so it is harder to get the stitching even….but it will make a nice rug.

I am going to bast the antique Applique quilt today….pictures soon

10 thoughts on “Toothbrush Rug

1. katechiconi says:

Clever idea, and great use for fabric you probably wouldn’t be able to use for anything else.

2. Chrisanna says:

Such a thrifty project. You’ve inspired me! I have a small pile of t-shirts and three days off…starting now!😊😊😊

Very interesting, the trajectory of Le Teddy — young, with that look of insecurity in his eyes, mature, with that relaxed majesty. You’ve been a good father.

I never seem to think of Teddy as being any different but looking back at the old pictures it really is somewhat surprising how much he has grown up from the scared little puppy that came home from the shelter several years ago. He sure has been a joy!

4. Deb says:

Rugs,quilts and friendship…. Good for dogs and people! :) love the rugs! I do rag rugs in the frame with my scraps and fabric , clothes , and old sheets.

the rug in the shades of brown and green was made with old sheets that I dyed…they work great! I don’t know how to do a rag rug in a frame but you have me intrigued…i will have to look into that

• Deb says:

If you know how to use a hammer and a measuring tape , you can easy make a frame in no time … If you ever want pictures or measurements of my frame just let me know and I’ll be glad to share.

Thanks Deb! I don’t know when I will have time to do it but I would love to see how…..

Comments