Updates

I have about 3/4 of the first block done in the Antique Applique quilt

So if it takes 3 days for one block…..20 blocks = 60 days and then there is the border which is equivalent to the area of the 20 blocks so another 60 days…so 120 days then I might add trapunto….several more days….and I will be working on other quilts at the same time…I can’t only work on one quilt for that long, I need to take a break and work on other things to keep fresh.   Anyway the message is that this is going to be a long-term project.

When I finish this block I plan to play with piecing a few vintage blocks for a change of pace.

The forecast for the next few days is for thunderstorms.   I got some yard work done today  and took some pictures again so here they are (click on picture to enlarge)

Happy Quilting/Gardening!

26 thoughts on “Updates

Perhaps Kristen doesn’t want to wait that long, I still have that address ready for you! :) LOL

Oh, I am patient. Very patient.

Pacing yourself on this makes complete sense. Such detailed work must cross your eyes after a certain point. It should all stay enjoyable. It will still probably make it across the line for the 2014 Tim Quilt-o-meter. How many so far, Tim, since we’re at the half point?

I really should count….lets see…so for this year 8 so doing pretty good

• Kristen says:

That’s a blistering pace, Tim — would put you on track for 15-16. I think your usual is 12. You are a quilting blur – they would probably have to slow the film to see you doing individual stitches.

I have gone faster on several because I have taken to less quilting on some that I feel like don’t require over working…..in the past I always thought more is better but not on every quilt anymore….

4. nmaec43 says:

My dream garden. Can’t even attempt that in S. CA with the draught. But I can dream through your garden photos.

I do feel fortunate to be able to grow so much without worry about watering….it is a rare summer where I need to water more then a few times (fingers crossed I didn’t jinx myself into a drought) ….Michigan winters are rotten but the summer makes up for it….I will keep posting more pictures as things continue to develop

5. audrey says:

Wow! This one does look to be very intense and time consuming. It’s always fascinating to me that getting to the border feels like an ‘almost finish’ but in reality there is often just as much work there as the rest of the quilt. Love your stitching so far!

6. Deb says:

Great quilting and lovely flowers!! And I’m enjoying it all with a cup of coffee in my hand! :) Thanks, Tim!

7. Sandra B says:

Love this quilt! Has my favorite colors!! Thanks for inspiring us….I like to have a long-term project going all the time…but I always have quicker projects in the works, for when I need a break. Keep sharing pictures so we can see the progress!
    Thanks for sharing your garden pictures as well!

8. I do love the quilting around the block seams and I’m a sucker for a bit of stippling as well. It’s going to be fabulous. Your garden is looking amazing.

9. Bernadette from Oz says:

Your quilting is wonderful and I love the design, do you base your designs on other antique quilts? Your work is an inspiration.

Thanks! I do use antique quilts as inspiration for quilting designs….I like to try to make the quilting look as if it was done when the top was new

10. Tim, always an inspiration to see your work unfold on your blog. I look forward to seeing updates on this applique quilt. I love the little design you worked over the yellow flower bud. It reminds me of a pineapple the hospitality sign of ship’s captain home from the sea when he posted one on the front gate finial of his home.

Thanks! I had the pineapple in mind …since I can’t Identify this flower I thought I would take some artistic license and make it feel a bit like a pineapple ….

11. Susan says:

Beautiful flowers..beautiful quilting! I look forward to the time I can do some hand quilting. I took a class several years ago and have the piece I completed on my quilt room wall! So relaxing…love hand work.

12. Martha says:

It boggles my mind how quickly you work — it takes me months to finish a quilt — and your stitching is amazing. Very much appreciate all the photos, but still wish I could see them in person.

I would love to be able to show them to you in person….perhaps one day I will be in your tow…I do lectures for quilt guilds and bring along lots of quilts to show

Comments