Circles

I took a break from hand quilting and did a little hand piecing today.

I recently bought these vintage circle blocks

.new-wheel

and I showed them on a few different fabrics to show how different a block can look when the setting fabrics change.

DSCN2666 DSCN2665 DSCN2664

The fabrics I placed them on were all fabrics from other projects so I didn’t plan to use any of them….although I liked all for different reasons.   There was however a problem with all of them, they were too bold for me.  Not that I don’t like bold but in this case they made the vintage blocks secondary to the bolder fabric.

I went with a very different fabric …

DSCN3030 DSCN3031 DSCN3032 DSCN3033

Now It is what I envisioned.   I will do big stitch hand quilting with black #8 perle cotton thread but I have a lot more piecing to do first…and then a border

22 thoughts on “Circles

1. Janine Huisjen says:

I really like how this fabric goes with the circle fabrics. Is it vintage, too?

2. Debbie says:

That pink, grey, black fabric is just perfect.

3. Gerrie says:

Ooh, I am going to dream tonight that I am the proud owner of this quilt when it is finished. Let me know if you want to make my dreams come true. Haha :) Needless to say, I really like this one. The background fabric is perfect and the black big stitches will look very good.

4. katechiconi says:

It’s amazing what a difference background makes. I don’t read the circles at all as circles when they’re on the patterned ground, but when they’re on a solid colour it’s unmistakeable. I’m glad you’ve found the solution you were looking for.

It looks right. Like Kate, once you put them on the new background fabric, I didn’t read the circles at all, it just looked….right. Excellent.

6. Pat Long says:

As usual, your choice for background fabric is just terrific!

7. Barbara Wells says:

Perfect choice. I would have never thought of that type of fabric, but once again you found the perfect fabric.

8. Sandra B says:

Wow!! What a great choice….really love that fabric…really changes the look of the circles, for an unexpected, but stunning look. Can’t wait to see the finished quilt!

9. Becky says:

I liked the red polka dots fabric, but then, when I saw your final selection, I loved it! It looks original with the blocks. i would have sworn that fabric was vintage. Great choice!

10. Judy P. says:

I really admire your work. Giving orphan blocks a “home” is such a great idea. Now comes the but… I love the pink and black fabric (and nothing is better than buying fabric on sale), but when I look at your mock up from about 10 feet back the circles are completely lost. When you look at the circles against the red polka dots from a distance they are still there. Ultimately, of course, the only person you have to please is yourself. I hope you don’t mind a dissenting opinion. Again, your work is truly inspiring.

Thanks Judy
      It was my intention to make the circles become less predominant and highlight the secondary pattern that is formed by the gray which almost makes a square, which will be more apparent as I get more of the pieces together, I recently finished a quilt with circles and wanted to do something different….I liked it with the other fabrics but it was not what I wanted for these blocks. Next batch will probably be a bit more traditional

11. Shirley says:

Tim, in the first pic……what is the scrap of fabric off to the top left? looks
    like part of a block…????? just curious!

Comments