Star Progress and a crib quilt top

I am making progress on the star top.   here is the before picture

after fixing it I started hand quilting it

here it is today.

I will finish up the center  and then do something different on the border

I love the clam-shell fan design but want to add some variety

I will post more about that soon.

It might not be easy to see in the pictures but the diamonds that make up the star are made up of many pieces.   I imagine that the maker used up a lot of scrap pieces to make it .

here is a close up of one diamond before I trimmed it.

one pieced

The quilting helps to hide all that messy piecing.

Here is a look at the back.

I got a new partially completed crib quilt today

it is missing the border on the left side So I will probably make a new border for the entire top.

I have some embroidery to do to finish it (click pictures to enlarge)

I love old quilt tops and I love to finish them.   I write about these old tops very often and people forget that I do make new quilts as well. Here are a few that I have made

my quilts

I have several more planned both old and new….stay tuned ;)

23 thoughts on “Star Progress and a crib quilt top

1. katechiconi says:

Still seriously lovely your green baskets one….

2. Barbara Wellman says:

The pineapple quilt is gorgeous! The baby quilt is sweet . Your right the photos have not shown the pieced triangles. I know you mentioned it but I thought you were talking about “piecing” the top. I hope I’m not the only one that didn’t realize it was piecing the piece.
    Love all the photos and the updates. Btw the chickens are making a dent in the grasshoppers! !!!!

Thanks!
      No you aren’t the only one …it is so hard to get pictures that show all the details…so several people asked about it..here and on facebook.

I am so glad to hear the the chickens are getting well fed on the grasshoppers …great news for the plants!

3. Judy says:

That star looks totally different now with the quilting!! Love the crib quilt top—laying on your backing makes the red embroidery parts stand out!! Just an observation~~~you probably have already seen that. A red thirties print would be adorable, with kitties or puppies. Love your work & progress reports.

Thanks Judy….Might do a 30′s print….or maybe a solid, or both….I think it depends on weather or not I make it specifically for someone on just do it to have for the next time I need a baby quilt gift…..If I can I like to make it colors I know the parents will like

4. nmaec43 says:

It is hard to believe you can quilt that fast. What do you estimate the hours in a day/night you spend quilting? The 2 thoroughbreds you entered in the show must have awhile. When I did my Field of Roses quilt it took me 4 months about 6 hours a day. I loved every minute of it. It will be exhibited at the Mancuso show in Palm Springs,CA. Along with another one that I did all by machine. Both are exact opposites but I birthed them both. Love your blog

I do about 6 hours a day…..and I switch back and forth between so many quilts that is is very hard to tell how many total hours go into any one quilt….
      enjoy the show in Palm Springs!!

5. Bernadette from Oz says:

This post has absolutely convinced me that you DO have a posse of quilting elves living in that gorgeous garden of yours. ;-)

That explains it! The quilt elves! Or do you have a wee dram o’ Irish in you Tim, on your mother’s side? Could it be the quilting leprechauns? A hint of Scandi? Quilting trolls? Finally it all makes sense. Thank you Bernadette.

The crib quilt top is the sweetest thing, awwwwww. Just adorable. Lucky tyke, whoever s/he turns out to be.

7. glendajean says:

Gosh Tim so much eye candy to day. Your quilting design on this lovely old PATCHWORK !!!! quilt makes my heart sing knowing you are rescuing it after some one spent hours and hours trying to make some thing beautiful????? I think a lot of quilters now days don’t really know the meaning of PATCHWORK and how it started, your star quilt is a real example of a patchwork quilt, I really appreciated that photo of the piece of fabric you showed with the 10 or 11 scraps joined like that so not even the finest scrap was wasted; many of the original patchwork quilts were made from scraps of material sewn together like this then cut up to make the design, very few families could afford to buy new fabric to make bedding quilts, even the early Japanese bed and clothing patchwork was made up of scraps of fabric then recut and finally quilted in big quilt stitches as we know now as Sashiko . I’m at present making a BOM quilt with an online group in silk fabric from kimono fabric which is only woven at 14inch wide so I’m having to piece my backing but it is not worrying me as I’m making a patchwork quilt LOL.
    Tim that is the sweetest wee crib quilt top, I can see you sitting in the evenings working on it for some light relief from hand quilting. Looking forward to seeing that wee one finished now LOL. Great to see all your own designs hanging together like that , it is interesting to see that you have such a wide range of colours in your quilts, many of us seem to favour a certain colour?????? Thanks again for you time and generous photo’s. Cheers Glenda

Thanks! I am having great fun with the patchwork star…..and the little cross stitch quilt is going to be very fun to work on as well….I will need to do some work to match the thread colors.

I am very color conscious in my own quilts but I seem to like them all! I also like all different styles….I think it depends on my mood….I love the subtle monochromatic quilts and also the bold complimentary color harmonies….and and and….I do mostly favor green and earth tones in home decor but anything goes in quilts :)

8. glendajean says:

Gosh Tim so much eye candy to day. I think a lot of quilters now days don’t really know the meaning of patchwork and how it started. your star quilt is a real patchwork quilt, I really appreciated that photo of the piece of fabric you showed with the scraps joined like that so not even the finest scrap was wasted; many of the original patchwork quilts were made from scraps of material sewn together like this then cut up to make the design, very few families could afford to buy new fabric to make bedding quilts, even the early Japanese bed and clothing patchwork was made up of scraps of fabric then recut and finally quilted in big quilt stitches as we know now as sashimi . I’m at present making a BOM quilt with an online group in silk fabric from kimono fabric which is only woven at 14inch wide so I’m having to piece my backing but it is not worrying me as I’m making a patchwork quilt LOL. Tim there is always so much eye candy on your blog; in the house or in your secret garden. Cheers Glenda

9. Mary Ash says:

Thanks for posting the ‘before’ picture – a mammoth job getting it quiltable – looking really lovely now.

10. linda says:

Hi Tim,
    Your quilts are just beautiful ! I really like the green one you posted that you made new. It looks like it is embroidery on different color green blocks but I can’t tell and can’t enlarge the photo. Could you post a larger picture ? Thanks

11. Deb says:

Tim , you have done wonders with the star top! It’s no longer a “yikes”! The baby quilt is sweet!

Comments