Sunday update

I made some more progress on the wonky quilt…..

here is the before

Here is the bowl I am using as a template

and there it is today

I have a way to go but it is going pretty fast….so back into the hoop and more hand quilting..

here are a few more pictures of the back and the front (click pictures to enlarge)

40 thoughts on “Sunday update

1. I like what you’re doing with the elbow quilting, straight lines, and then the arcs in the outer border.

I, too, like the outer border treatment — not at all obvious until you see it in contenxt, then…..yes, that’s it. That’s the right thing.

3. Lane says:

Well, Tim, now you’ve got me started. Yesterday, I bought a problematic quilt top that will need repair, tho not as extensive as your star quilt did. I’ll post about it this week and let you know so you can see what you’re inspiring other guy quilters to do. I also picked up 14 birds in the air blocks that will need repiecing. Vintage beauties. Be well. Lane.

4. nmaec43 says:

Love the border quilting design. Perfect!!!

5. karenfae says:

the quilting sure is doing something for that quilt — at first look was beyond saving – wonderful job!

6. Debbie says:

I like what you decided on for the borders.

7. Laura says:

The quilting pattern choices you’ve made for this quilt just MAKE the quilt, in my view! You are a marvel!

8. Janet says:

I love the border quilting!! You always manage to think of the perfect design.

9. Carolanne says:

The more I look at this quilt the more I realise that the person who chose the colours and design really did well. Its seems (now) so well balanced. I suppose the wibbly wobbly construction detracted from all this. Well done rescuing this wonderful quilt.

10. Deb says:

Marvelous!! the correction ,the quilting and the bowl stencil!

11. Pat Long says:

It is turning out beautifully!

12. Heather says:

Tim, this is wonderful ! I would never have thought of the border design, but it is just right, perfect. You have made an “ugly duckling” into a swan ! Thanks for the inspiration

13. Prue says:

I was taught to finish off and cut the thread at every discontinuity, and start again at the next place. Do you do this? I sometimes pass my needle between the layers and bob up at the next point instead of cutting etc., without any disasters (so far). I enjoy your blog a lot and have also learned a lot from it.
    Good wishes and a soft purr from my cat to Teddy.

I never cut the thread until I run out….I use a pretty long length , about a yard and a half, and I travel from one area to the next between the layers as needed….in my view less knots is better…stronger, and faster. But I taught myself so I don’t have any preset ideas to follow.

Teddy says thanks!

14. Jan cotton....kiwi jan says:

What a transformation it’s looking great …beautiful quilting …

15. katechiconi says:

I especially like what happens in the corners of the border. You’re putting on quite a turn of speed there, mister. It’s going to be finished very soon.

16. Fran says:

Holy crow! and “they” say you can’t “quilt it out” – you are doing a fantastic job. I’m impressed.

17. Ann says:

This is fantastic! I love watching it evolve.

18. Dawn Cooper says:

This quilt reminds me of the “Give Away Quilts” made by the Crow & Sioux people in Montana, down to the quilting pattern.

Dawn Cooper

19. Rebecca says:

It is amazing what you have done with this quilt! Who could have believed from the first photos that it would be looking like this, absolutely stunning. I ‘inherited’ some squares from my Mom when she passed. There are two stacks. The squares are approximately 4 1/2″ and 7″. They were all cut with cardboard templates and scissors. I say all this because of the pieced diamond in this quilt. So many of these squares are pieced to make them the correct size. I plan to make quilts someday with these squares and pass them down to my children.

20. I like your use of the bowl. I used all my dinnerware once for different sizes of circles. Its nice to know that an expert does that too!

Comments