Vintage Log Cabins and Butterflies

I bought another log cabin quilt top.  This one is from the 1930’s

It is hand and machine pieced.

DSCN3436 DSCN3435

it is 77″ x 82″ with a great variety of fabrics  (click pictures to enlarge)

Different fabrics and settings can really change the look of a log cabin quilt.  Here are a few examples from my collection of vintage tops and quilts that I have finished. (click pictures to enlarge)

Yesterday between rain showers I took a few butterfly pictures in my garden.

Since I was taking butterfly pictures I also took more flower pictures (click pictures to enlarge)

Next time some quilting updates

11 thoughts on “Vintage Log Cabins and Butterflies

1. Janine Huisjen says:

Your bee balm plants look so healthy. Mine always get powdery mildew. The flowers are pretty, but the foliage looks sad. Maybe mine aren’t in enough sunlight?

That could be it….they are very susceptible to powdery mildew…the ones in the wild get it all the time, I think in my garden the reason i don’t get it bad is that i have resistant varieties ….and I try to never get the plants wet….rain I can’t help but when watering keep the leaves dry

2. Deb says:

A wonderful top ! The flowers and quilts are all so lovely! Saturday , I pruned the purple cone flowers back. If we have a long fall .. They will bloom again. I still have the Gerber daisy and dahlias to do.

I don’t cut them back…they bloom until the end of the season here….and if i leave the dead flowers they gold finches have a good fall food source…they love my spent flowers and are so fun to watch

3. Jeanette says:

Tim,
    You showed the bowl that you used for baptist fan quilting pattern. I would be interested to know how you start the desing. I have always wanted to use it on an old fashioned piece but couldn’t figure out the starting point. Any help ?

Very cool — let a thousand Log Cabns bloom!

5. Rebecca says:

That is a great Log Cabin quilt! You have a wonderful collection of them. It is amazing how many different lay outs there are for the Log Cabin. Do you find most of you antique tops on Ebay? Wonderful photos of the butterfly and your flowers,

Comments