Double Irish Chain

I have another antique top to share.    The pattern is Double Irish Chain.

It was made in Pennsylvania.   The Fabrics are beautiful and in great shape for its age (circa 1870)

DSCN3420 DSCN3419

The wide border and large blue squares leave me a lot of room for hand quilting.

Here are some more pictures (click pictures to enlarge)

15 thoughts on “Double Irish Chain

1. Kathleen Campbell says:

Tim, That yellow in the DB Irish Chain is still around. In 1965 I made some dresses for my kindergarten daughter and one of them was made with this fabric. Tha last that I saw it was with a cousin. Amazing pattern. Still like it.

It has been reproduced often….I can tell that this is an old one however …the feel and the texture is different than the newer reproductions……but new or old I love it with the blue fabric ….really a great fabric. I was watching an eBay auction for several yards of it a few weeks ago and it sold for over 100 dollars….

2. Rebecca says:

Such great fabrics in this quilt. I really love that blue! This quilt top must have been well taken care of.

I love that blue! often called Lancaster Blue or double blue it was prevalent in Pennsylvania in the last half of the 1800′s it really is beautiful with the yellow too

3. I am wondering how large it is? I think the simple calico fabrics are so elegant and old fashioned in a great way. How did you date it?

4. jbacon2013 says:

This is delicious, I also love those double blues

5. Deb says:

Wow!! What a Treasure!!! I won’t tell ya that I’m just a little bit envious. :)

Omigosh, that’s Lancaster blue, isn’t it, the real thing. I’ve only seen once in person, in a museum in Pennsylvania (of course), but it just pushes all my buttons. That is one gorgeous top.

7. Donna K says:

Nice one Tim. At least this one won’t need to be deconstructed as far as I can see.

Comments