Flowers and quilts

I am working on the border of the star quilt.

in the picture you can see the pencil I use to do the marking.  The pencil washes out pretty easily so when the quilt is done it goes into the washing machine and then the dryer.

I took a quilt break to go look at the garden….here are pictures of the garden today (click pictures to enlarge)

I made a few more blocks from the Interplay fabrics (see yesterdays post) and I decided to set 4 like blocks together

If I were to make a quilt with just these two fabrics it would look like this (I put this picture together by copying and pasting the block several times just to see what it would look like)

full

Back to work for me

Happy Quilting/Gardening

19 thoughts on “Flowers and quilts

1. Mardee Dowdy says:

I love how you’re doing the border on the star quilt. (Hmm, now I’m thinking I already commented about this on FB. Oh, well, such a head…) I do frequently get stuck when it comes to borders and even stall out before that piece of quilting while I get happy with some direction or other. Tired of feathers and cables. This is new! Thank you for all your inspiring work!

2. katechiconi says:

I like that block arrangement a lot, especially as the small patches of dark colour in the lighter sections seem to add a sort of additional pattern or punctuation of their own.

3. Sharron Evans says:

So what would it look like if you used the other fabric as well?

I will be using the others but I dont have a block of each of them done yet…I took a picture of one block and copied it several times to make the full picture…when I get more done with other fabrics I can do a picture showing more

4. Deb says:

Is the pencil , just a plain lead pencil you would get for school? I sometimes use a #2 pencil for some quilts where the marks just blend into the quilting . Border is looking great!
    The flowers are so lovely!!
    I really like the block you chose for the interplay fabric!

Thanks
      yes it is just a disposable #2 pencil…very inexpensive and if you dont press too hard it hardly even shows once the stitches are in and any that does show washes out

5. Helen F says:

I luuuv it!!!!

You’ve got such an eye on you, Tim. To me it would be counter-intuitive, but those blocks with the interplay fabric just really work.

Thanks….half of the blocks will have one of the black fabrics, and the others will have some of the other colors….I think it is going to be pretty cool….Im thinking now about how to quilt it ….Im thinking contrasting thread…and big bold stitches

7. Mimi says:

Handsome quilt – too bad we can’t cut and paste a fat quarter.

8. gardnerpam6 says:

Tim-what is the name of your gorgeous lily?

It really is a great Lily….it is called ‘Scheherazade’ it took a few years to get going this big….first year just a few blooms, second year quilt a few, but by the third year it was amazing

9. Katie says:

I found my way to your blog because I love hand quilting. Never did I think I would enjoy the gardening pictures as much as the quilts! Your gardens are truly beautiful. I appreciate you naming the plants. It’s so frustrating to find a plant I like and have no idea what it is.

thanks Katie….the garden is my other big passion and I am glad you like the pictures…..the garden season here has been pretty good…and many more quilt pictures to come :)

Comments