Finished Piecing

I finished piecing the Interplay blocks .   I need to decide on a final layout before I sew them all together.  Sometimes it is hard for me to see what they really look like until I take a pictures.  For some reason I get a more objective view in a picture.

I will trade the peachy blocks with the lightest blocks ….. they actually are not as light as they show in the picture but I think the balance will be better with them in the center.

I bought some thread for hand quilting this….and I have backing fabric

The mottled black at the top of the picture is the backing fabric and the thread is #8 perle cotton.   I will do big stitch hand quilting on this.

Now that I am nearly done with the piecing (my absolute least favorite part)  I am going to let this one sit for a few days while I think about what quilting design I want to use.

Meanwhile I can get back to work hand quilting the rescued Star quilt

I should have it done in a few days.

And I will also be working on hand quilting the applique quilt

DSCN3173 DSCN3172

and the Lily quilt which I had planned to have done in the spring

And I have backing batting and thread to hand quilt the top made from the vintage blocks

Yikes that’s a lot to do…..better get busy

PS

Teddy was upset because he didn’t get his picture taken today.

He was so funny when I put the camera away….sort of pouting.  Here is Teddy looking very serious but happy now that he has his picture taken

32 thoughts on “Finished Piecing

1. Mary says:

Teddy is so cute. I just found your blog recently. I love what you do to someone else’s treasures. Great choice of the circle fabric for the backing. I need to look for that fabric. Thanks!

Thanks!
      it might be hard to see in the picture but the black at the top of the picture is the backing…the circles are part of the block and I only had a fat quarter of that

2. Sharon Eshlaman says:

I just love Teddy! You can tell he has a huge personality!

Sent from my iPad

Five quilts going — that’s our boy! Now if it were six, I would worry. The variety keeps it fun.

4. Marcia Ahlbrand says:

I wish I lived next door to you!!

5. Mary Ann says:

Teddy is a cutie! All the wonderful quilts you are working on. Enjoy seeing the progress you are making on each of them.

6. Annette says:

I often use a camera too. It really helps to see the whole quilt and assess the values. I am working on a very special tee-shirt quilt right now and the camera has also helped me get far enough away to see the quilt artistically and not just emotionally – does that make sense?
    Love your work. I wish I could quilt as fast as you do.

7. Nancy says:

I certainly can relate to the camera comment regarding value. I had a top all together and took a picture to show a friend and immediately saw a block that that stuck out like the proverbial sore thumb. I ‘unsewed’ it and swapped it out with another in another place, but took a picture before I sewed it back in. MUCH better.
    TIM… I’m in awe of what you are able to accomplish in such a short span of time! Wonderful stitching! Teddy looks very handsome in his pictures! Have you told him he has a fan club here?

Thanks! I am going to rearrange and photograph again before I sew them together…..I really just hate to have to unsew….I always seem to get in too much a hurry and nick the fabric.

I do tell Teddy he has fans….I really do think he knows, and he just loves it when people make a fuss over him! He just has to wag his tail and perk up his ears and he always gets treats from the clerks when he goes to petco

8. Carol Darrow says:

I am in awe! Do you ever sleep?

9. Deb says:

Quilts and flowers have this one thing in common .. That no matter how many times you view them they never lose their beauty!!
    Teddy’s looking good as always. :)

10. katechiconi says:

So, you’re not planning any down time in the next 6 months or so…?
    You certainly do have a lot on your plate. I agree with your thoughts on the paler blocks in Interplay; it’s hard to see the melon slices because the contrast isn’t so strong.

I hope that when I get some quilting on them the contrast will be more apparent …the contrasting thread might help…will see..I might do a mix of thread colors to add some more contrast…using the darker thread in the lighter block

11. chris says:

Dogs are so honest, aren’t they? Teddy is the cutest – he reminds me of a child’s storybook I had called “Teddy the Terrier”, have you seen it?

12. Pat Long says:

Wow, that is a lot on your plate. Have fun with all of it..

13. Lil Koster says:

Tim – you are so prolific, I am constantly amazed at how quickly you finish your hand-quilting. How many hours a day (on average) do you spend on hand-quilting? And do you listen to music or books on tape while you quilt (and if so, what are your faves?) or do you just enjoy the quiet and get in “the zone?”
    On another note – I so enjoy seeing your basket quilt background on your blog! -LK

I usually get in 6 hours a day 6pm – midnight…and I watch (actually just listen to)TV and it is mainly for background noise…and I have a computer at hands reach with my quilting Facebook groups that I follow while I work

14. I know what you mean about taking pictures. I often take pictures of projects. Not sure why I can “see” them better that way.

I learned about seeing things better when teaching floral design. I see the flower placements better in pictures as well…I think the camera is the most objective critic :)

• I hadn’t thought about that but I do know that I see things in flower photos that I didn’t see while I was taking the photo. I’m going to take part of the quilt apart and change it.

Comments