Snowflakes in August and Updates

Today I got notice that my Whole cloth Quilts have been accepted for the AQS show in Des Moines Oct 1-4

???????????????????????????????

And a few new things

First I got the Interplay quilt blocks sewn together.

and pin basted ready for hand quilting.

More on the hand quilting soon.

And I started layout on a new whole cloth quilt.

Of all the blog posts I have done The post about making snowflakes has been the most popular.

In that post I included a pattern to make this snowflake

2012_0131snowflakes-howto0005

Looking am blogs site stats I see that I  am still getting several view per day of this thanks to Pinterest.

I decided that since I already designed the snowflake and it is a popular design, I should use it in a quilt.

I am no fan of applique….so I am not going to try to do that…it will be done as a whole cloth quilt.

I cut a stencil of the design to trace it onto the cloth

and used a blue clover wash away marker .

DSCN3581 DSCN3579

I am now in the process of adding more detail.

More on this as it develops.

Here are a few more snowflakes I have made (click pictures to enlarge)

It seems early to be thinking about a Christmas quilt but It really isn’t far off :(

34 thoughts on “Snowflakes in August and Updates

1. Eunice Anne Fowler says:

So beautiful. I surely wish you sold templates of the snowflakes! Again, I’m just astounded

2. Martyne says:

Snowflakes sound nice in this Florida heat Tim! Oh so lovely. Congratulations on your Whole cloth quilts, how exciting!

3. Jan cotton....kiwi jan says:

Well done on having your Wholecloth quilts accepted for the show and good luck ….

4. Nancy says:

Well, those beautiful whole cloth quilts are deserving of awards. While I appreciate most any work, hand quilting stops me in my tracks. I’m having trouble trying to describe why, but they give off an aura to me that those long armed pieces don’t.
    In a few previous posts you talk about big stitch quilting. Have you addressed how you stop and start with that 8 perle cotton? I did do a flannel big stitch very long ago… so long ago I don’t recall how I addressed that issue. But I think I used a 12 perle cotton which isn’t as thick and easier then to pop the knots. Thanks Tim and good luck at the show in Oct.

Can’t wait to see them in person in Des Moines! I know they will be covered with ribbons!

6. Dorothy says:

Congrats on the AQS Show in Des Moines. Your Reindeer and Tree snowflake is wonderful. Look forward to seeing it when finished.

7. katechiconi says:

Now that snowflake quilt is one I’m really looking forward to seeing!

8. Carin says:

Congrats that your quilt is going to the show in Des moines. Your snowflake looks so beautiful drawn on the fabric. Can’t wait to see when you start quilting.
    Say hi to Teddy from me and Bowy

9. KerryCan says:

What a great idea, to turn the snowflake design into a wholecloth quilt! I can’t even imagine trying to applique that design but then I can’t imagine appliqueing anything . . . ;-)

10. christopher says:

your snowflake handquilt is going to be amazing. the design of it already is

11. Wanda says:

I love the wholecloth snowflake quilting idea that you are running with! AWESOME!

12. susanben says:

Just love your whole cloth really a true beautiful work of art.

13. That’s actually how I found you!!! Your original snowflake post is what attracted me to your blog to become a loyal follower. I was looking for how to make a pretty paper snowflake last November and found your little creative quolt space on the web. :-)

14. Deb says:

The stars are beautiful!! Neat idea to quilt one on whole cloth. Wishing lots of luck on those quilts!! If I was the judge the white one would take 1st place! Every time I see it the ” wow ” just pops out!

15. Diane says:

I love your comment about quilting through cement! Incredible talent and creativity — the Star Quilt before and after just amazing! Thank you for sharing your quilting, your garden and your wonderful Teddy — how blessed you are!!

16. […] I am also working on the Snowflake Quilt (see this post for more on that) […]

17. Gretchen McClain says:

What a wonderful idea for a whole cloth quilt with your snowflake! I saw the progress in your picture on fb and it is amazing! I still have my snowflake fused to the background pinned to a wall quilt trying to figure out what to do with it. I might just stitch all the way around it yet! Thanks for sharing your snowflake technique!
    Gretchen in PA