Home stretch

I am on the home stretch with the Interplay quilt.

When I get near the end on a quilt it becomes difficult for me to stop until it is done.   This past weekend I worked on it exclusively and I have only 2 corners left to go.

Teddy will be glad when I am done.

he gets a bit bored watching me quilt.

But he loves to get the chance to try out a quilt…..here he is testing the back.

DSCN3730 DSCN3729 DSCN3728

He approved it.  You can the unquilted corners better from the back.  The 2 corners on the left.

Back to work

Next time I hope to have pictures of the finished quilt.

I got new glasses on Saturday.   Bifocals …and I can actually see to quilt.  The old pair was not nearly strong enough so I was using drugstore readers.  Nice to not have to keep switching between different glasses.

14 thoughts on “Home stretch

If you have been quilting like we’ve all seen you do without decent glasses, then now that you have bifocals and “better” glasses, your quilts will be even more awesome! :)

2. Teddy is looking most dapper, especially against the black.

3. Mardee Dowdy says:

Isabel wrote my thoughts – Teddy does look most dashing in his inspection. Glad for your new specs. Just thought I’d prepare you for next progression of quilting eyes – I’m wearing trifocals and love them! Sitting at a frame quilting especially, I’m able to focus on needle, then farthest corner of frame, ultimately looking up to see what Shims (my Inspecting/supervising cat) is doing!

this is my third pair of bifocals….the first was a no line …recommended by the optician…I never could learn to see out of them….I couldnt find the right spot to look and they kept saying give it time you will adjust…a year later I still couldn’t see so the next pair I got the old lined kind….worked great but my eyes got worse and I had to get a much stronger pair ….which so far are great!…..but I can see the value of trifocals as well…..I can see to quilt….and across the room….but I have to look over the glasses to see the computer

4. Rebecca says:

I am so glad this quilt has passed the Teddy Test! You certainly got this quilt done quickly! You must spend hours per day working on your quilts. I have a question, how to you sit while quilting? If I spend hours working on something like quilting or applique, I can end up with a bad neck ache.

I try to sit up straight but I know I lean in to reach across the hoop…..After years of doing it for 6 hours a day or more I think I am just used to it and dont get sore

5. katechiconi says:

Beautiful work, as always. I have great sympathy with the bad eyes issue: I have trifocal progressive lenses, and after I got used to the way things went weird around the outer edges, they were life changing. If there’s something I need to look at carefully, I use my work lamp, which is an LED ring around a large 6″ lens, and it’s brilliant! I’ve found the way to avoid backache is to quilt at a table so I’m not having to support the hoop or the weight of the quilt, the work is up higher so I don’t have to bend my neck so much and I don’t have to disentangle myself if I want to get up.

I hope trifocals are a way off yet…..but I am glad they are working for you! I use a hoop on a stand to keep the weight off and keep myself from leaning forward to far…but I can see how working at a table would do the same thing….nothing worse than a really sore neck, which I had frequently before I switched to the stand

6. glendajean says:

Tim I’m constantly amazed at your production line each day it is such fun to drop in and see what you have done or are doing or take a walk through the secret garden. This week I added a sashiko kimono to my blog which is like your big stitch quilting you are doing on this wonderful quilt. It is an old winter quilt white with blue sashiko stitching I found it in a second hand shop in Tokyo. Thanks so much for blogging Tim I learn so much from it and the joy of seeing these lovely old quilts restored is wonderful . Cheers Glenda

7. Katie says:

Your dog is just stinkin’ cute. I’m right there with you on the vision thing…it’s so frustrating not being able to see well! I just recently bought a lap hoop with a base which raises my work to a more comfortable level. Before that I used a hoop with a baby boppy pillow…the kind that is for nursing moms, it hugs your waste. That brought my work to a much better level ergonomically speaking. I tried the CraftOptics at a quilt show. They are AMAZING, but, alas, a bit out of my price range. Still hope to get then some day….

Comments